A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1001 10 May 2022 4:23 pm

spclark

Re: Waterlust sailing canoe in Norway

Chuck I’m anxious to know how the rest of your outing went!

And about your lead ballast: did you use what you gleaned ‘as-received’ or did you do some reshaping for your ultimate purpose?

Last w/e I learned of a potential source of lead scrap I can ‘mine’ for ballast, with a little effort added involving first cleaning it of contaminants then smelting & casting.

Martin you may have something to add on this, given your history of projects boat- and car-wise!!

#1002 10 May 2022 6:57 pm

MartinC

Hi all! I am following all of your builds and voyages with great interest.

I don't have too much to add on the question of ballast, as I have decided for my purposes that the 'out of water' weight has to be kept to a minimum. My ballast  is therefore confined to water ballast which can be filled and emptied as required when on the water.

My only comment relating to lead smelting and casting is, I am sure, something you all already know. It is extremely toxic so do be very, very careful not to inhale lead fumes or dust, or get it on your skin or clothes! I am not usually overly cautious about these things, but lead really is very nasty.

#1003 14 May 2022 5:45 pm

spclark

Using lead for ballast's my Plan F or G, better to try water first as much as possible for those reasons. Or get by with as little as possible, why I'm bothering with the ama addition.

Getting started with 'glassing 'em today, very pleased with how they're turning out at this point. Experiences with main hull really helped me get up to speed with techniques appropriate for epoxy.

Getting_-Glass_on.jpg

I'm using a different order-of-application than suggested in the build manual for putting 'glass on these things, seems more appropriate & puts all the fairing with a mind to water flowing aft. Also puts some extra layers at points of high stress. With the thinner ply I'm using this may be helpful for keeping 'em together.

I'd intended to weigh 'em before I rolled on the sealer coat earlier this week but got ahead of myself before I realized the opportunity was gone. Will weigh 'em once the 'glassing's complete; curious what you others might see if you try this!

Working towards getting all this ready for an event coming up early next month, been invited to join a local bunch 'convoying' up to Lake Pepin north of where I am. This year it's June 3-5, just two more weekends, getting really close!!

Board footer