A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#801 22 Jul 2021 12:51 am

spclark

Re: Waterlust sailing canoe in Norway

I still have plans and the okoume ply to build one of Iain Oughtred’s MacGregors. The 16’ length was what I’d planned to build back around 1986 or so. Less complicated than a Waterlust, still two masts & balanced lug rigged, lots less freeboard & maybe half the weight?

Oughtred_MacGregor.jpeg

Or maybe Rushton’s Princess?

Rushton_Princess.jpg

But age & stamina overruled in favor of a Waterlust once I got wind of the design back late in 2016. Lobbied hard w/ John & Dillon to see it as a kit sold to folks like us.

Last edited by spclark (22 Jul 2021 12:54 am)

#802 25 Jul 2021 1:17 pm

spclark

Re: Waterlust sailing canoe in Norway

Forget what I posted as weights for spars. I discovered last night that the scale’s batteries were failing, needed to be replaced. Those numbers were more than likely inaccurate.

Masts & spars now have two coats of epoxy, the main’s been sanded then a third thin coat applied. The others get heavy second coat sanded today, then a thin coat added, varnish starts tomorrow. Will weigh ‘em before varnish goes on, see what’s what.

Otherwise my hull’s ready for launch, likely be next w/e. Too darn hot here now, supposed to be close to 90F/32C for the daily high until maybe this coming Friday. No fun being out under the sun.

Last edited by spclark (25 Jul 2021 1:19 pm)

Board footer