A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 15 Feb 2022 7:16 pm

sailingfree

Wood duck 12 hybrid build questions

Hi, I've started building a wood duck 12 hybrid and I've got a couple of questions I hope someone can help with.

The transom piece looks far to big. The manual says that it should just pierce the bottom panels and is not wired to the bottom panels, but mine has to go deep into the panel and has wire holes that locate in the bottom panel. Have I got the right part or have I made some major error?

IMG_7153.jpg

It is 108mmm wide at the top and 207mm to top bottom.

IMG_7154.jpg

The second question is about the location of the puzzle joints. On at least one video (the bucket list project) the puzzle joints for the bottom and side panels are shown hear the bow, but on mine the bottom joint is at the bow and the side joint is at the stern, is this normal?

#2 16 Feb 2022 1:45 pm

Phil
Employee

Re: Wood duck 12 hybrid build questions

Hi sailingfree,
Thank you for taking the time to take the photos and to check.  The Wood Duck kit has had several iterations over the years and there are also a couple of different sized boats that are all covered by the manual.  I just checked your photos and the transom looks right and what I would have expected to see.  As you tighten the wires up make sure the top of the transom is level with the top edge of the side panel.  And when you do this, push the wood together with one hand and tighten the wire with the other, rather than just tightening the wire like a tourniquet as the wires will enlarge the drill holes and most likely snap.

The joints in the kit are in a different place to the diagrams showing the parts of the kit in the manual which is a known issue and is on the list to be fixed when the manual is next cranked through editing.  I am sorry this has caused you to question it but you get full marks for reading the manual.

You should take credit for your boat so far as it looks like you have made a good neat job of the bevels and the glass taping of the joints is also very neat.  It's looking like you are on track to make a display boat, well done.

I hope this helps.

#3 16 Feb 2022 5:40 pm

sailingfree

Hi Phil, thanks for the speedy reply and encouraging comments, and for reassuring me I'm on the right track.

#4 20 Feb 2022 11:14 am

teejay

Hi sailingfree.  Phil's reply is really helpful - and I hope this is of some extra assistance.
Your stern looks very similar to mine at the same stage in the build - I was also concerned by the depth/size of the transom piece but after working at it through damping the wood to help it bend, a couple of extra holes for the wire (so no great pressure on the wire and therefore the holes) and providing extra support with wedges to push the transom out and rope to squeeze it in where needed it worked out fine.
I found James' (JMac58) blog - and the advice and encouragement I got on this site really helpful - so it's worth sharing concerns as there's likely a few others who've had similar problems and found ways round them.
Also - your puzzle joints look in the same position as on my boat.
All the best
Tim

Last edited by teejay (20 Feb 2022 11:17 am)

#5 21 Feb 2022 5:30 pm

sailingfree

Hi Tim, thanks for the helpful reply, I’ve been studying your build log and that’s been a big help too. Maybe I should have done some more reading before I got stuck in, but I’m a little impatient sometimes.  Anyway making progress and I’ll put some pictures on the build blog.

Pete

Board footer