A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 30 Sep 2011 7:44 pm

Mikey

Getaload of my Shearwater 17

I finally decided on the Shearwater 17 as it's a really modern-looking design.  It should be quick enough for fast day touring and it carries enough load for trips.  And all the holes are drilled for me - perfect!!

I ordered on Tuesday and it arrived this morning.  It's opened and all looks great.  Just glued the planks (is that the right expression?) together and hope to make the most of the warm weather and get on before the snow smile !!

I will add pics later.

Mikey

#2 6 Oct 2011 6:32 pm

Mikey

Re: Getaload of my Shearwater 17

Well, Here she is!  Progress being a little slower than anticipated due to domestic chores getting ready for winter smile .002.jpg
Well it's started and the boat is already taking shape.  She looks like it will be a nice and sleek, efficient ride.

003.jpg
A few of the bulkheads and forms in place.

004.jpg

Check out my dodgy glassing.  Not bad for a first effort! smile

So far I am really pleased.  It all fits and goes together really well.  Just wish I could spend all day doing it.  I want to be on the water this Christmas.

Mikey

#3 14 Oct 2011 5:51 am

Richard

No doubt paid work is getting in the way of finishing!! I would be intersted in knowing how long it takes you to build.

Canoe & Kayak Owner

#4 2 Nov 2011 7:57 pm

Mikey

Well, I've been able to grab a couple of part days to get on with the kayak and it's starting to take shape...fyne-boat-kit-kayak-build.jpg
The side panels were wired in place...
shearwater-kayak-build-garage.jpg
along with the bulkheads.......
wooden-kayak-shearwater-fyne-boat-kits.jpg
gluing together the panels with small bits of glue.....taking out the wires
deck-fit-shearwater-kayak.jpg
wiring the deck to the hull with some glue tack welds inbetween the wires whilst enjoying a brief pause from the rain!
shearwater-kayak-wooden-deck.jpg

Next step is wires out and gluing the whole thing together.  Then, the bit I am dreading is the glass matting as it looks really hard.  It looks so easy on the film, it just can't be though can it?

Mikey

#5 3 Nov 2011 4:23 pm

fairplay

...courage! - you came so far, the glassing is nothing to worry about...it can became a little sticky though wink ...

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#6 3 Nov 2011 7:05 pm

Mikey

Thanks.  I'll pray for warmth and let you know how Iget on.

Mikey

#7 3 Nov 2011 8:13 pm

fairplay

...not only from the experience i made today let me add that i again used too much epoxy (but this time i scraped it off again wink ) and that i really like the squeegee in addition to brushes...for my first Pax i had only used brushes, but now found that the squeegee works better for me in terms of equal distribution of the epoxy in plane areas...

Last edited by fairplay (3 Nov 2011 8:13 pm)

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#8 4 Nov 2011 8:13 am

Paul
Employee

I totally agree with Fairplay about the squeegee.  I use a squeegee to spread the epoxy very thinly onto the bare wood and to spread the epoxy on the fabric.  This ensures that the layer of epoxy is thin and even. However, just to make it clear that we are not talking about the sponge and rubber contraption used for cleaning windows this is the link to the item:   Squeegee

#9 8 Nov 2011 5:50 pm

Mikey

Paul and Fairplay,

Thanks for the advice.  I am now properly armed and galvenising myself for the epic.  Actually, I can't wait to get on with it, but I'm stuck in a soleless hotel room wishing I could fettle my boat in a cold garage. 

Hopefully next weekend I will get chance.

Mikey

Board footer