A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 27 Feb 2021 8:15 am

Paul Green

Dust Removal

I have got to the stage in my Peapod build where I am sanding and cleaning the interior prior to glassing.

A vacuum cleaner has removed most of the dust but some fine dust remains (a quick wipe with a finger tip gives the game away). I guess this is what is removed by wiping down with a lint free cloth and denatured alcohol as per the CLC manual.  I have seen elsewhere in the forum that denatured alcohol is not easy to come by in the UK and also advice from PEC Epoxy to avoid use of solvents or anything like maths which might have additives.

Is there any reason why a wipe with a slightly damp (with water) lint free cloth would not do the job of removing those last traces of dust on the surfaces?

Paul

#2 27 Feb 2021 9:55 am

Simpsonboater

Re: Dust Removal

Painting tack cloth lifts any remainder.

#3 4 Jun 2021 12:12 pm

Nat

We used a wettex and water (outdoors in warm weather) after hoovering dust off, prior to varnishing. Worked absolutely fine.

#4 7 Jun 2021 8:08 am

Curlew

I believe you should NOT use a tack cloth prior to glassing as any residue can react with epoxy. I'll try to find the reference. They are fine before varnish (and very useful)

You don't need anywhere near the same degree of dust free surface before glass/epoxy as you do with varnish so do not be too worried about it. It is more about losing any obvious chips and flakes or anything with a colour that might show through the epoxy.

Bruce

Last edited by Curlew (7 Jun 2021 8:12 am)

#5 16 Jun 2022 10:33 pm

Keith Clague

Not using tack cloths on the epoxy between coats was mentioned in a Nick Schade video.  Its OK between coats of varnish

Board footer