A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#26 4 Jan 2021 9:57 pm

Simpsonboater

Re: Building a 12' Wood Duck Hybrid

Brave of you and well done!  I wished if gone for the pre-coat of epoxy before the glass to stop the outgassing on the interior of my wherry.

Will be a great looking craft once complete.  Lots of sanding to come though!

#27 6 Jan 2021 9:35 am

Curlew

Good progress for sure. It has hardly risen above freezing here for a good week or so so it must have taken some effort to get everything warm for a good while before starting.

A few small bubbles and a bit of outgassing made my mind up to paint the hull too-although I must admit I think I prefer the appearance of a painted hull with a strip deck anyway. If you have some bubbles to sand off and patch don't be too alarmed, it is easy to do. Even after thorough final sanding you'll probably have the odd irregularity but since you are painting the hull you will use a filler and the fairly high build primer. My final result was very smooth indeed.

It is good to have done your first big glass stage. You'll get better at it!

Bruce

#28 13 Jan 2021 3:52 pm

teejay

Thanks for the encouragement!

The filling of the bubbles was fairly straightforward - and - having decided to paint the hull I also went for an extra layer of sheeting on the keel line to protect that a bit more as I'll be using it on some pretty rough beaches.

Now - I've got a lot of sanding to do - however it's a very warming activity in these cold days - so that's a plus.  In truth I had hoped to be a bit farther on by now but with the lockdown extending ad infinitum why not the build too?

Tim

#29 16 Jan 2021 6:10 pm

teejay

A few days of sanding later and I'm a bit happier - another coat of epoxy is required to fill in the weave of the sheet especially on the side panels but overall the hull is a lot smoother.  The random orbital sander I purchased has been a real help and the dust mask a necessity - and an old hoover cast out of house and home worth its weight in gold.
Now to wait for a warmer day for a hopefully final coat of epoxy - and remember not to think it's varnish - it's a lot thicker and it doesn't flow into itself - so I need to work at keeping it even and smooth.

DSC01264.jpeg

DSC01270.jpeg

#30 18 Jan 2021 11:01 am

Curlew

Looking good. It is generally better to have a couple of nice thin (ie warm) coats of epoxy rather than an uneven one. You wil now when the weave has gone of course. Thick epoxy also adds significant weight if that is an issue that worries you. If you still intend to paint it remember the primer does also have a bit of build and will slightly smooth the surface.

That nicely sanded even grey haze takes a while but you will get there in the end.

Incidentally your ply panels have a nice grain pattern. Mine were rather less interesting (another reason for painting).

#31 18 Jan 2021 4:01 pm

teejay

Thanks Bruce

I'll have another close look at things before painting - the grain is impressive on the panels so it would be nice to be able to varnish them - or keep them partially varnished - there's time to consider options as lots of work to do before then.

Tim

Board footer