A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#426 16 Sep 2020 7:24 am

Bergen_Guy

Re: Waterlust sailing canoe in Norway

*Loud cheers from Norway*  Massive congratulations Martin! Well done indeed. You are the first of us to have a fully rigged ship on the water!  How exciting, and I am so glad that you are happy with her. I look forward very much to photos and a video if that's in the works.

Here I had a few trips to the chandlers to pick up things I had forgotten, but now think I have everything I need to get underway with the sails up. I am looking foward to that very much, especially after you positive report Martin.

I konw what you mean about the till tether, at first I though: Is that really necesary? But I agree, it's an important part of the deal with that set up. My current thinking is that I use a long line for the rope that is used to cleat the tiller in place, and simply take the end of that on board and tie it off somewhere.

Congratulations again!

#427 16 Sep 2020 7:52 am

MartinC

Thanks Guy..and for all your support and help through this web site. It would have been very much more difficult to do without you and SP.
Keep in touch!

#428 16 Sep 2020 8:01 am

MartinC

Hope this works! here is the launch:-

https://youtu.be/Bal4VNmhLc8

#429 16 Sep 2020 8:11 am

Bergen_Guy

Video comes up as private - may need a change to privacy settings!

I also echo your sentiment Martin, I have found this forum, yourself and SP a wonderful source of support, inspiration and advice during the build, and has made the whole thing even more enjoyable.

#430 16 Sep 2020 8:39 am

MartinC

Thanks Guy. Try it now. (As you may have guessed I am not good at the tech stuff!)

#431 16 Sep 2020 8:40 am

Bergen_Guy

YES! woohoo :-) looks like a lovely day, and Gaia is looking wonderful.

Last edited by Bergen_Guy (16 Sep 2020 8:40 am)

#432 16 Sep 2020 9:08 am

MartinC

I am afraid these aren't very good and don't tell you very much, but they do at least prove that Gaia is now on the water!

https://youtu.be/LEKOd1Rba2E
https://youtu.be/wxKED7lKKUg

#433 Yesterday 1:32 am

spclark

HA! Exciting imagery there, I’m inspired even more now to continue!

Had a brief break in progress while I sussed out a roof leak that appeared a week ago above my wife’s bathroom. Seems the roof vent for her bath fan was poorly installed years ago before we bought the place. Spent Saturday pulling wet fiberglass insulation off ceiling in attic, then Monday sourcing new vent & getting that installed. Now I wait for NEXT rainstorms to see whether I missed something, or whether my roofing skills are up to the challenge!

Awesome progress Michael, that Mirage drive really moves this design! Can’t wait to see you under sail!

#434 Yesterday 10:50 am

Bergen_Guy

Martin, SP,

I am crossing fingers for a first sail on Saturday. Let's see if I manage to get any video.  It's such a shame that the likelihood of actually sailing the three boats together in the same place is so small, that would have been a nice way to round off our builds. Virtual cruises will have to do. I will keep you posted.

Guy

#435 Today 8:27 am

MartinC

Good luck Guy!
'Fair winds and following seas'

Board footer