A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 6 Feb 2020 11:30 am

Bergen_Guy

Waterlust sailing canoe in Norway

Well, here goes!

The kit is ordered and should be on its way in a few weeks. I will try and post a few updates from time to time here.

This is my first boat build so I am looking forward to learning some new things. I will be working in half of a double garage, during some rather cold parts of the year, so my next stop is to get some warm lamps to make sure that I can cure the puzzle joints in the main hull panels, which will most likely be task nr 1. Oh, yes, and finding lots of cheap clamps for holding the other parts like the shear clamps, stringers etc. together while they cure. I am sure there are some things that I have forgotten, but I am relying on the maxim that 'the work teaches you the work', or as a colleague of mine at work said - ah - so you are approaching this like Pippi Longstockings, I have never done this before, so it can't be that hard!

I don't imagine that this will go super quickly, so I am mentally preparing myself for this taking a while. That will give me a bit of time to come up with the really important things like a name, and a hull colour. I once had the pleasure of sailing on a Rasmusen Yawl, which was initially painted a splendid pale duck egg blue, which I rather liked. The owner later repainted it dark dark blue, but I always had a soft spot for the initial colour scheme. That also isn't far off the colour of the first few hulls made, which I find rather nice. I suppose at the end of the day, the colour may be strongly influenced by what is available in the paint I choose.

I have some experience of canoe sailing from our sailing Klepper, but am also stoking the canoe sailing fire by reading as many of the old classics as I can lay my hands on, '1000 miles in the Canoe Rob Roy', and 'Canoe Travelling, Log of a cruise on the Baltic'.

Guy

#2 10 Feb 2020 9:57 am

Ian
Employee

Re: Waterlust sailing canoe in Norway

Welcome to the forum, Guy.  I look forward to seeing your progress with the build.

Board footer