A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 31 Jul 2014 5:35 pm

Tony

Wherry trailer?

I'm slowly building an Annapolis Wherry and am beginning to wonder about getting it to the water. I think I'm going to have to make a trailer.
Has anyone done this? If so I would be very interested to know how you did it and where you supported the boat etc.

#2 16 Sep 2014 8:15 pm

wilddog

Re: Wherry trailer?

I am not sure that making a trailer is that simple any more. Not sure, but I think DVLA are tightening up on home made trailers these days...

Built a Skerry!

#3 7 Aug 2017 9:14 pm

Adrian

CLH Trailers in South Wales make a perfect fit for the Wherry with two sets of rollers which can be adjusted to nicely support the boat at the bulkheads.    Send them the boat plan and they customise the design.

#4 20 Oct 2017 8:59 am

Phil
Employee

We are in the process of introducing a range of trailers to suit our boats.  I would urge against rollers as these tend to be the cause of holes in boats, pads or bunks are a better option.  Watch this space!

#5 25 Oct 2017 5:04 pm

CrimeaRiver

Watching this with interest. Not yet sourced a trailer for my NE Dory.

Recidivist wooden surfboard builder!
Built a Kaholo 12' 6" SUP from plans
Built a NE Dory from plans

#6 2 Nov 2017 5:28 pm

Eain

Also watching for suitable trailer for future Passagemaker. Eain

#7 11 Nov 2017 11:39 pm

marriottuk

For my Tandem Wherry we used a standard dinghy road base and just extended the draw bard to suit (it was like that when I got it constable...).  Then made a couple of shaped 'beds' to suit the profile using timber and carpet for padding.  Worked out a lot easier and cheaper than expected.

#8 18 Nov 2017 10:51 am

Adrian

Point taken about the rollers, and I was a little concerned at first, but I launch from a riverside car park, not a slipway, and the rollers allow me to get it back on the trailer single handed.     Its essential that they line up under the bulkheads.

#9 16 May 2021 9:37 pm

boxerscott

Update on this post for information. I`ve looked into this extensively. My solution was Mersea Trailers from their Rapide range, 4.5m adjustable bunk trailer 750kg gvw single axle with suspension and submersible electrics. It seems ott for a boat that only weighs about 40kg but the length /weight ratio is disproportionate. They do a 600kg gvw 4.5m one but i want to utilise as and when to carry my motorcycles.

There will be a slight overhang of the wherry at the rear but nothing ridiculous that does not look right or harmful to the integrity of the boat

Chris.

#10 3 Jun 2021 8:11 pm

charboatman2010

we've been having similar conundrums with our tandem wherry build.
we happened upon an indispension coaster mini at indispension Carlisle which is designed for a jet ski!!
But.
But the salesman said we could configure a bespoke to suit our needs, so out go the big suspension units replaced with 250Kg. units ( trailer plus wherry is only 196Kg) as I worry about preload setttings on 750KG.
Replacing  the post moves the boat forward  and swapping jet ski bunks with keel rollers and a small bow snubber should do the job
Book price is 964 give or tnake the different spec and we're ordering one this saturday, I will post a photo when alls done and dusted  and launched>

#11 13 Jun 2021 12:54 pm

spclark

These last posts illustrate an issue I had when evaluating my trailer choice for hauling the CLC Waterlust canoe I've been working on for 18 months. I chose a Trailex SUT 220-S for both its size and weight capacity but even then the fully-equipped Waterlust ought to add not much more than 68Kg / 150 lbs to the trailer's 60-something. The OEM 8" wheels & tires rated for 295Kg fully inflated puts the trailer's capacity at 590Kg yet the trailer's rated for only 160KG. Simply put Trailex's answer is to run those tires at significantly reduced tire pressure of just 20 psi, less that 1/3 the max.!

I wasn't impressed either by the appearance of the tires supplied, so I've just mounted a set of 12" wheels fitted with 145mm radial trailer tires that look to be far higher in quality, but still rated for vastly more weight-carrying than what I expect to be doing. I contacted the company I bought them from, they forwarded my query back to the wheel & tire supplier. I received information back that indicates these new tires ought to be just fine inflated to 25 psi so the pressure reduction is similar to what Trailex puts on their trailer tongue stickers.

My conclusion is that it's OK to inflate tires to less than the maximum level indicated on their sidewalls IF the expected loads are well under the maximum that the tires are rated for. There are other considerations of course (trailer rating itself, speeds to be expected during trailering, maybe ambient temperatures also, etc.) and we should be mindful that there's a limit to just how far under-inflated trailer tires ought to be run when under load.

These new 12" wheels look a lot spiffier too than the galvanized steel 8"-ers I bought with the kit last year, so there's that aspect too.

#12 28 Jun 2021 8:01 pm

charboatman2010

Further to my last from indespension, they have just started they cannot fit lighter suspension units due to plating issues.
I guess it's back to the drawing board.
Shame as the boat completes this week!

#13 1 Jul 2021 6:38 am

Paul
Employee

Fyne Boat Kits do sell high quality trailers that have been designed for the boats and conform to the UK and EU regulations.  They are not on the website because the lead-time has been erratic recently and it is not easy to predict when a trailer will be supplied. 

Please contact Fyne Boat Kits directly for information about the latest situation.

#14 2 Jul 2021 1:05 pm

bourgargental6g

Watching this with interest.

Board footer