A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 31 Jul 2014 5:35 pm

Tony

Wherry trailer?

I'm slowly building an Annapolis Wherry and am beginning to wonder about getting it to the water. I think I'm going to have to make a trailer.
Has anyone done this? If so I would be very interested to know how you did it and where you supported the boat etc.

#2 16 Sep 2014 8:15 pm

wilddog

Re: Wherry trailer?

I am not sure that making a trailer is that simple any more. Not sure, but I think DVLA are tightening up on home made trailers these days...

Built a Skerry!

#3 7 Aug 2017 9:14 pm

Adrian

CLH Trailers in South Wales make a perfect fit for the Wherry with two sets of rollers which can be adjusted to nicely support the boat at the bulkheads.    Send them the boat plan and they customise the design.

#4 20 Oct 2017 8:59 am

Phil
Employee

We are in the process of introducing a range of trailers to suit our boats.  I would urge against rollers as these tend to be the cause of holes in boats, pads or bunks are a better option.  Watch this space!

#5 25 Oct 2017 5:04 pm

CrimeaRiver

Watching this with interest. Not yet sourced a trailer for my NE Dory.

Recidivist wooden surfboard builder!
Built a Kaholo 12' 6" SUP from plans
Building a NE Dory from plans

#6 2 Nov 2017 5:28 pm

Eain

Also watching for suitable trailer for future Passagemaker. Eain

#7 11 Nov 2017 11:39 pm

marriottuk

For my Tandem Wherry we used a standard dinghy road base and just extended the draw bard to suit (it was like that when I got it constable...).  Then made a couple of shaped 'beds' to suit the profile using timber and carpet for padding.  Worked out a lot easier and cheaper than expected.

#8 18 Nov 2017 10:51 am

Adrian

Point taken about the rollers, and I was a little concerned at first, but I launch from a riverside car park, not a slipway, and the rollers allow me to get it back on the trailer single handed.     Its essential that they line up under the bulkheads.

Board footer