A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 24 Jan 2016 12:49 am

Arne H

Chesapeake 16 launch

Some photos from the launch of my Chesapeake 16, finished last deck riggings on 14th, and tried her out for the first time on 17th January.

WP_002325.jpeg

WP_002338.jpeg

WP_002328.jpeg

This is on the river Dijle in Belgium, not the most exciting of locations, but hey: The nearest moving water with sufficient water under the keel. Was actually a nice trip! (If you need to know: Went from Korbeek-Dijle to the weir just before Heverlee and back.)

The boat felt good and handled really nicely! Only remaining thing that needs doing at some point is adding foam knee-pads shaped to my anatomy for better control, and to find the ideal position for the seat, which I attached with Velcro to allow easy adaptation. Thanks for the tip to use Velcro, Paul. It seems to me, finding comfort in the seat is a question of 10ths of an inch, so I need to play with that a bit during my next trips. (In addition, I think I need to stretch the back of my legs more, in general, in order to avoid getting numb toes every 20min or so while kayaking, but I've always been a bit stiff and inflexible in that area...)

Board footer