A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#601 20 Jan 2021 1:52 am

Chuck

Re: Waterlust sailing canoe in Norway

Wow!  I'm not sure I have ever seen a lapstrake ama before...

#602 21 Jan 2021 4:25 pm

MartinC

Yes really nice! As well as the lapstrake, I particularly like the curved aka and the delicacy of the design.
How soon before Fyne can sell me a kit?!

#603 22 Jan 2021 7:18 am

Bergen_Guy

I have ordered mine already!  I think it's going to be a major step up in the capabilities of these fine small craft, and I agree it looks like Dillon has done a nice job, nicely in keeping with the boat as it already is, but also looks like they have thought through rigging and de-rigging options. I like that the amas will store inside the hull too - that will help a lot for storage and transport.

Now the pressure is on to get the boys pram finished and out of the workspace so I can get started on the outriggers when they get here! Looks like it's going to be quite a fiddly job to do nicely, there are as many steps as making a full sized hull, only smaller. Also there are TWO decks to fit... that was my least favourite job (after fiberglassing the inside of the hull) at least these are smaller and I hope I can do a better job second time around!

here's to a bright "waterlust" 2021!

Last edited by Bergen_Guy (22 Jan 2021 7:19 am)

#604 24 Feb 2021 8:22 am

Bergen_Guy

The outriggers kit is here. I have started work, the hulls are stitched and I will move on to filleting inside and out today. On the one hand it’s very straightforward as I am able to work on the workbench, on the other hand they are small, fiddly and light so keeping them still is not as easy as with a ‘full sized’ hull.  So far, everything has worked fine, even though I made the silly mistake of measuring the angle of the bevel on the shear clamp before fitting the fore and aft spacers, which add more curve to the hull. Nothing a bit of thickened epoxy could’t sort out! As you can see they are skinny things, but quite deep. Exciting times. I am looking forward to getting them done and fitted.

DF2E5A59-FB46-4651-8F7F-DDD02D8BD008.jpeg

E0890DC7-6DE8-49CB-A8D3-31520688D1C8.jpeg

#605 25 Feb 2021 12:51 am

spclark

Good seeing progress on this Guy! Particularly as I was a strong advocate for CLC & Dilllon M. to put the work into bringing the kit to us.

I know our TX friend Jeff's got the same kit as you and making headway once again after the catastrophic weather events of the past couple of weeks down there.

And even if you've received the e-mail from CLC out today, here's a link that'll bering you a wonderful essay by Clemens Wergin about his Waterlust adventure last June!

https://www.clcboats.com/images/2021/We … Wergin.pdf

Won him the U.K.'s Dinghy Crusing Association Journal's 60th Naylor Noggin Award!

#606 25 Feb 2021 7:17 am

MartinC

Well done Guy! I will follow your progress with great interest, although having spent quite a lot on my reduced rig and heavy steel daggerboard, I am not going to rush to buy the outriggers before trying out my present setup. I do like the look of the outriggers though and will probably order some in the summer, for added sailing flexibility.

I was very interested in Clemens Wergin's article, SP. Many thanks for that. It was interesting that Clemens also felt the Waterlust was rather overpowered and vindicates the decision to go for the outriggers. What a fantastic cruising ground! I thought I knew most of the European rivers/lakes, but I had never heard of the Kleinseenplatte. I can't wait!

By the way, I can highly recommend the Venice Velaraid mentioned in the article to all sail and oar fans, (although probably a bit of a stretch for you SP!), when the world gets back to normal. Sailing in the Venice lagoon with all its history and diversity is a huge privilege and once in a lifetime experience.

#607 25 Feb 2021 2:41 pm

spclark

Yah, trip - with or w/o canoe - to Venice isn't likely gonna happen for me unless I win a lottery, if then. Maybe next lifetime?

I'm taking a different course for a stability add-on. Early on when posts here described issues with stability I contacted Dillon, the results from his efforts at CLC are the kit they're producing. But not knowing when or whether anything would come of my initial efforts I enlisted the interest of a Canadian naval architect, Mike Waters. He's designed some very successful trimarans, one of which is available fro CLC in fact, his W-17. Mike feels a half-size set of the amas off that W-17 design would work well for the Waterlust. His concept has them mounted to a pair of akas that can be folded to bring the amas alongside the main hull, easing transport.

I'm working on a set of these reduced-scale amas currently, with a mind to perhaps using a modified aka according to Dillon's concept rather than a folding pair, at least initially.

Other than that I'm looking forward to warmer weather here in Wisconsin so that I can get my Waterlust hull out of winter storage, onto its trailer & out of the garage, the better to work out details of the rigging & hardware mounting to accommodate masts, spars & sails. Spring's not far off!

#608 28 Feb 2021 3:49 pm

Chuck

Thanks for posting photos of the new Waterlust outriggers kit!

The article on the German Waterlust expedition was also very interesting and I was glad to see more photos of the boat on the water; I always found it a little disappointing that there wasn't more detail on the CLC site on the original Waterlust trip down the Intracoastal Waterway.  I keep looking for someone to report sailing one in something like the Everglades challenge (which would certainly be a thorough workout for the boat!)  Even though my ambitions will probably not rise to that level, I am curious how the boat would do.

The weather here in Alabama has yielded a few warm days (>20C) lately, and I have begin to do a little more work on the boat (following SP's suggestion for reinforced longitudinals to support a higher seat):

IMG_8302.jpeg

Last edited by Chuck (28 Feb 2021 3:49 pm)

#609 28 Feb 2021 7:22 pm

Bergen_Guy

Great progress Chuck! Your build is looking very neat! Great idea to follow the ‘SP’ mod on the stringers. I would do that too were I starting again.  I got a bit of time over the last few days and got the fillets in, and the lap joints filled. I think next up is tidying up and bevelling the shear clamps and coating the inside in resin.

It’s a bit odd making something that is not symmetrical! I really really hope I got everything the right way round!
A0EB4D03-E9A0-4673-96BC-2E7F21817AF8.jpeg

98A7E4C1-8B98-44F1-838B-66449B2ACC73.jpeg

430A2E85-540A-487B-ACA7-C54B3FC9762C.jpeg
Ah! At last, one photo the right way up! - two soon ready for tidying and internal resin before the decks go on. Those really need to end up on the correct one so that everything attached properly.

Board footer