A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 20 Apr 2019 4:57 pm

wilddog

dagger board repairs

Chums,

I am repairing/repainting a scuffed dagger board. I thought I might run a filet of fibergalss to the bottom edge. Should I strip all the old paint off to do this or will Epoxy fix to scuffed up Yacht paint?

Thanks for any speedy replies.

Built a Skerry!

#2 23 Apr 2019 12:18 pm

Ian
Employee

Re: dagger board repairs

The epoxy may stick to the paint, but then the repair will only be as strong as the paint -- if the paint comes off, any epoxy that was coated on top of it will come off with it.  Better to remove the old paint first.  You only need to remove it from the area that will be epoxied, so presumably not a wide area.

I could be wrong, but I think thickened epoxy adds more abrasion resistance than fibreglass.  I put about 3mm of epoxy on the leading edge of my kayak skeg where it was wearing -- a thick layer just on the tip, where it needs it.  It will take a long time to wear through that, compared to maybe 0.5mm of fibreglass.  I actually trimmed a few mm off the edge of the skeg first, so that the lump of epoxy would match the original shape of the skeg once it was rounded over.  Nothing wrong with using fibreglass though, it's just that my skeg seems to get a lot of wear.

#3 27 Apr 2019 1:01 pm

wilddog

Re: dagger board repairs

Thanks Ian.

I sanded the paint back to the undercoat and added the fibre glass there. It has been a while since I built the boat so I was a bit rusty and will need to fair it all down with the sander now.

The fibre glass is just to keep the dagger board safe from the occasional clunk on the shingle bed in the Estuary, so it is not being rubbed as frequently as the skeg maybe.

Andy

Built a Skerry!

Board footer