A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 9 Oct 2011 9:56 pm

beaker

Wood Duckling

Here's some pictures of my recently finished wood duckling - thanks to Paul for his tips along the way.

Ply and wire and goo and tape and clamps and clamps and clamps...

(a few more pics of the build on the SOTP forum http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ … ling-build )

fyne-boat-kits-wood-duckling-kayak-build.jpg

Then lots of sanding and epoxy and sanding and paint and sanding and snding and varnish and sanding and sanding and varnish...

wood-duckling-kayak-build-fyne-boat-kits.jpg

Just add water

wood-duckling-kayak-child-using.jpg

I want to build another one for me now!

Cheers!

#2 12 Oct 2011 2:32 pm

Navin

Re: Wood Duckling

That's a good looking boat.

You've got a great finish on there, thanks for the link describing the process you used. I hope mine looks as good as that.

#3 23 Feb 2012 3:46 pm

jcat5150

My duckling kit just got here yesterday.  Looking forward to getting it built so my boy can have it on the water this summer.  I just did a search for "painted wood kayak" trying to decide on paint or varnish for the hull.  My idea is almost identical for you, with sort of the "3 tone" finish of the Okoume on the sheer panels sort of acting as a stripe between the panted hull and that lovely sapele deck (although I'm leaning toward a shade darker blue for mine).  Thanks for sharing this image so I have an idea what she'll look like.

#4 25 Feb 2012 2:00 pm

beaker

Glad you like it.  The paint is International Toplac in Squall Blue, over PreKote. I'm thinking I might do an ivory or a dark blue, with a pinstripe on my next project.

#5 8 Apr 2012 11:14 pm

jcat5150

Found a little time to work on mine today.  Got the hull completely stitched.  It gets pretty exciting once it starts looking like a boat!  Wish I wasn't so busy at the daily grind!

#6 9 Sep 2012 3:43 pm

jcat5150

We put her in the water yesterday finally.  It took about the number of hours that Chesapeake said it would.  The problem was in FINDING those hours!

Here's video of the maiden voyage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTUbklmyb8E

The white balance on my old beat up video camera makes it look like a similar color to yours but it's actually quite a bit darker (Interlux Brightsides Ocean Blue).

Thanks again for your post that helped me confirm my scheme!  I hope the Silvermist is still floating frequently!

#7 9 Sep 2012 9:22 pm

beaker

It's such a joy to see your kids going out in the boat you built together.

Silvermist is floating with Kittiwake now, and I'm browsing the catalogue now for the next build.

Board footer