A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

1. Index
  2. » Locations
  3. » Westward Ho!

#1 26 Aug 2012 10:37 pm

beaker

Westward Ho!

A final coat of paint and a little lettering, and it's officially finished!

Punching out through the surf went well. I had some beginners luck on the first couple of rides in, but after that it was mostly sideways high brace and wet exit practice. More practice needed I think to get the best out of this lovely design.

7867670284_961a14c2e5_b.jpg

#2 27 Aug 2012 9:03 pm

beaker

Re: Westward Ho!

With a bit of help from YouTube I got more rides than rinses tonight. The waves were bigger than yesterday, so I was turning between the breaks. Reversing a little way out made life easier, then when I did get turned, lifting the knee on the shoreside and leaning onto the breaker gave me a fair chance of making back in with the boat! Then lean further onto the crest, and spin back out to sea again.

Happily the hatches stayed completely watertight. The bow chamber was bone dry after all the surf. Presumably the stern one is too, but it's held in so tight with an airtight seal I can't pop it off!

I could do with some more interior fit out. I got some self adhesive neoprene sheet from the local canoe shop, and was told to be careful about sticking it in because the glue was so strong. Good advice, as it was very strong - until it got wet! The first time I soaked the boat, the neoprene just floated out! Eventually the glue on the Velcro strips of the seat pad let go (Velcro so I could get the position right before fixing it), so let's see if evostick is more durable.

Plenty of interested comments, including "is it real wood?" and "is it strong enough to go out there?". Having built it, and paddled it in the sea, I can confirm yes to both of those.

#3 28 Aug 2012 6:57 pm

Phil
Employee

beaker,

Your boat looks stunning and the surfing sounds great.  I wish I could say I wasn't jealous!  Sounds like there are plenty of people admiring yourhandiwork.  Enjoy!

Phil

#4 29 Aug 2012 6:53 am

Leggy

Great place, great boat well done

#5 2 Sep 2012 7:47 am

beaker

Thanks!

7911690902_273515c96e_c.jpg

Smaller waves on this day, so I made it back to the beach every time.

#6 4 Sep 2012 6:41 am

Richard

Fantastic looking kayak.  Your comments about the strength are worth saying everyone thinks wood is not strong but it is other materials that craze or don't flex which are weaker.
Thanks for the post.

Last edited by Richard (4 Sep 2012 6:41 am)

Canoe & Kayak Owner

1. Index
  2. » Locations
  3. » Westward Ho!

Board footer