A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#26 11 Aug 2012 4:41 pm

fairplay

Re: ...second Pax 18 build...

...done! - ready!!...perhaps i'll even get it wet this evening also...

...i tried to upload some photos - however, there seems to be a problem with the 'uploader': it keeps saying 'Error : the picture has crash at updating'...i also noticed that my previous uploads are mixed and not longer in the order i uploaded them...

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#27 15 Aug 2012 2:58 pm

fairplay

...was just asked to try again to put up some photos of the second Pax 18...here they are:

...from front left:
045_pax2_ready.jpeg

...from right behind:
046_pax2_ready.jpeg

...rear-deck-detail:
047_pax2_ready.jpeg

#28 15 Aug 2012 8:19 pm

Phil
Employee

Wow!  That looks stunning, congratulations. 

Have you launched her yet?

#29 19 Aug 2012 3:22 pm

fairplay

...unfortunately i did not have the chance to get her wet yet...

...but i expect to be able to do so next week smile - hope i'll have time to make photos also...

#30 6 Sep 2012 9:15 am

fairplay

...so, she's been in the water now...

...we spent a week with the two Pax and the two Wood Ducks with a motorised raft as our hub on the Mecklenburgische Seenplatte, which is an area in northeastern Germany (just a little north of Berlin) with many (hundreds?) of lakes, most of which are interconnected...in that area it is possible to camp almost everywhere, or - like we did - use a raft with a little hut on it (providing the luxury of a little kitchen and real beds) and let down the anchor wherever it is not explicitly forbidden...

048_pax_on_trailer.jpeg

...there are also many lakes that may only be entered with (non motorized) kayaks or canoes, so one can leave the raft anchored and make excursions to the restricted lakes with the kayaks...at the moment i just have two photos from the first day when we were heading for our first place to anchor (and passing a floodgate)...

049_pax-n-ducks_raft.jpg

050_pax-in-floodgate.jpeg

#31 6 Sep 2012 7:04 pm

beaker

Wow! Great looking boats, and a fascinating trip as well. I've just been looking up Mecklenburgische Seenplatte, and it looks like a perfect location.

Major trailer envy too! 

Looking forward to more pictures

#32 7 Sep 2012 6:25 am

Richard

Jealous of the trailer.  Have a great holiday.

Canoe & Kayak Owner

#33 8 Sep 2012 9:18 am

fairplay

...yup, i did not know that area - Seenplatte - myself before this trip; some more information can be found here http://www.mecklenburg-lakes.com and on many many other sites...

...that area has a very long tradition - since the 1920s - hosting and providing services for kayakers...

...regarding the trailer: it is custom-made by the village blacksmith based on one of my old boat-trailers dating back to 1966...we tried to preserve as much as possible from the old trailer while getting everything on it that i thought we might need...now we can put on six kayaks or four kayaks and four bicycles, addtionally there is space for a couple of boat-cars and a huge box that can carry the paddles, seats and livevests as well as other stuff...as the whole construction (apart from the frame) is made of strong aluminium, the empty trailer weighs less than 245kgs only...as for the price: i promised to build a double-shearwater-kayak in exchange...if you look around you may be able to find much cheaper alternatives.

051_trailer-frontal.jpeg

#34 12 Sep 2012 3:32 pm

fairplay

...hmmm?!...

...seems my last post has been edited? - but not by me!...

...if this is the case i'd really urge the forum-admin to

1. make it a policy to mark admin-/moderator-edited posts somehow so it is clear what has been written/is a statement made by the user, and what has been changed by the admin/moderator...

2. inform the user whose post has been edited...

#35 12 Sep 2012 6:35 pm

Phil
Employee

Fairplay,

We get quite a few people trying to advertise goods that are inappropriate for the intended use of this forum, and as such the moderator has decided that all advertisments will be deleted in the interests of keeping this forum for what it was intended.  A place where ideas can be exchanged with like-minded people.

I have looked into this and it appears that there was part of a sentence removed and I am sorry if this has upset you as it was never meant to.

I will pass on your points, which are valid and well received, to our administrator.  Feedback is always welcome, as we always aim to improve, thank you.

Phil

#36 12 Sep 2012 7:22 pm

fairplay

...Phil - thank you very much for your quick and exhaustive reply...

...i was surely not trying to advertise that particular brand of trailer-manufacturer (or any other), but wanted to add another bit to the discussion about trailers in this thread, and point people who expressed interest in a trailer similar to mine to something i had found being widely available for purchase right now without having to go the route i had to go...

Board footer