A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 4 Aug 2012 9:51 pm

wolverine974

Millcreek 16.5

Hi All,

after a really useful phone call with Fyne and a lot of online research, I have taken the plunge, and bought a set of Mill Creek 16.5 plans. I will be building the boat from plans, rather than a kit.

I hope to post a photo and some comments every now and again, and I know I will be posting PLENTY of questions...

So far I have been:

- Reading through the manual and consulting the plans.
- Working out where to get the bits I will need.
- Deciding on the wood to use.
- Making four substantial saw-horses from 2x4"

So far I have found a really helpful hardwood supplier who will cut the wood I need to size, although I will still need to scarf the rubrails etc.

Can't wait to get started!

All the best

Phil

#2 4 Aug 2012 9:53 pm

wolverine974

Re: Millcreek 16.5

Oh, one question (already). Do you know if there will be enough spare material in the offcuts from the ply panels to make the hatches, or will I need another sheet? There looks to be some spare in the deck sheet?

Thanks

Phil

#3 6 Aug 2012 10:35 am

Paul
Employee

I was hoping that someone else would answer this because we cut the kits in a different manner and I don't know the answer.  I have just had a look at the plans and it seems as though it may be possible to fit the hatch blanks in but it will be very tight.  The best thing to do would be to make a paper template to the same scale and try it on the layout plan.  If it cannot be done we can supply offcuts.

By the way please do not compromise on the wood.  The best quality is expensive but you are not going to purchase many sheets and the difference made to the weight and life of the boat is worth the extra cost.

If you have trouble sourcing supplies please look at our website since we have all that is needed for this boat.

#4 6 Aug 2012 12:06 pm

wolverine974

Paul

thanks, that's really helpful. I can get an off-cut if needed then.

I understand what you are saying about the wood, and I don't intend to try to get by with cheaper WBP or similar. I am looking at Okoume/Gaboon ply for the hull and Sapele ply for the deck, which is as you recommend in the plans I think.

Regards

Phil

#5 6 Aug 2012 12:34 pm

Paul
Employee

We use ockoume and/or sapele in all of our boats and have it in stock if you are having trouble getting it.  See this link and then click on the photographs:  Building Supplies

#6 8 Aug 2012 8:13 am

wolverine974

Thanks Paul

I have been checking the ply out from several local timber merchants, and as you say, none of it will be ideal for my project. They have Okoume and Sapele faced ply, but they are very thin veneers over a single thick ply 'heart' of other hardwood. Even the 'aero' ply they have in birch, which has fairly even laminates of wood through the heart has quite an uneven thickness on some of the layers.

I will be in touch about getting some of your Sapele and Okoume ply.

Progress today - all the hardwood and softwood, other than the ply, is on order. Sapele for the 'darkwood', pine for the softwood.

One question - the manual suggests that I cut blanks from the ply for each panel, scarf the blanks and then cut the panels. Why not scarf the full sheets, loft the shapes and cut from the full panels. This would have the advantage of fewer scarf joints (though they would be bigger) and I could make better use of the wood by lofting the panels closer together. You seems to lose a lot of wood by cutting blanks out as you suggest.

No doubt there is a reason for it?

Thanks

#7 8 Aug 2012 1:06 pm

Paul
Employee

You can certainly do as you suggest and it will probably save a little wood but the main disadvantage is that it is much more difficult to handle 5 metres by 1.2 metres of ply when cutting out.

#8 4 Sep 2012 6:34 am

Richard

How is the build going?

Canoe & Kayak Owner

Board footer