A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 1 Aug 2012 4:51 pm

Steve W

Shearwater 17 hybrid

Launched first time in June
Bridlington-North-beach.jpegCarrying-down.jpegFirst-launch-with-stowaway.jpegBack-in-after-maiden-voyage-it-didnt-sink.jpeg

On-the-way-to-the-beach.jpeg

#2 1 Aug 2012 10:41 pm

Robpeek79

Re: Shearwater 17 hybrid

Hi,

Looks like a beautiful boat!! I like the painted hull with the clear deck.  Finally the towing trolly is pure genius.

Great wife quote......   "You can't possibly need a paddle board!"

#3 2 Aug 2012 6:32 am

Richard

i also like the trolley!

How well does the kayak go?

Canoe & Kayak Owner

#4 2 Aug 2012 7:37 am

Paul
Employee

I assume that the launch was at Bridlington, as mentioned elsewhere, and you are right it does look like a great place for launching.

The trolley looks excellent did you make it from scratch?  I like the way that it shows off the lines of your very attractive boat.

#5 2 Aug 2012 12:00 pm

Phil
Employee

Steve,

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us.  It's a stunning boat, well done.

Phil

#6 2 Aug 2012 12:17 pm

beaker

Very nice indeed. A lovely job of planking on the deck. A nice beach to paddle off too.

#7 2 Aug 2012 12:34 pm

Steve W

Thanks Guys for the interest.

The trolley is a commercially available item I have had about 3 years, I also use it for taking windsurfing kit to Brid seafront, think it was about 70/80 quid.

Although I am practical I found working with glue and fibreglass quite a challenge and not enough joinery for my liking.  The curing times being so long in the cold weather were frustrating.  The boat took me about 5 months in total. 
I found the website and the CLC version very usefull and got loads of good tips. I varied from the manual with the hatch fastners and the footrest mounting and also fitted the shockcord to the rear deck only.  The boat really needs more varnish which i will do before winter, its had 4 coats of varnish and 3 coats of paint.

The boat is stiff, fast and seaworthy, I paddled it this week to Barmston and back about 9nm in 2hrs 40 min.  The tide was against me going but the wind and waves picked up and helped on the way back. It seems to want to turn into the wind and waves and corrective strokes become a bit tiring. I would be interested in anyone elses experiences on this.

I am 10 stone 5'10" with size 11 feet and the boat is a snug fit for me, the footrests are on the limit, but I have found it comfortable with the addition of a small amount of extra foam under the front of the seat.

Altogether the boat is a great sucess the kit and manual were high quality.

Board footer