A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 12 Jun 2012 2:48 pm

SinistaPenguin

Grain 9ft Root Surfboard Kit

I have started building a Grain Surfboard kit from Fyne, it seems to be going well so far - check out the video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UypqAxUURs

I made this using a 'time lapse' app for my phone, but I think it looks pretty good.

Will keep people posted as I do more

Thanks

Ben

#2 19 Jun 2012 8:05 am

fairplay

Re: Grain 9ft Root Surfboard Kit

...nice! - i enjoyed watching the whole almost eight minutes smile ...

...and i am looking forward to the next part...

...at the moment i am (mentally) preparing to build an SUP based on the Orca-design using materials provided by Fyne, so your post is of double interest to me...

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#3 19 Jun 2012 4:06 pm

SinistaPenguin

Yeah, I know it is quite long - but I looked around for other videos and haven't found any where they've got as far as I have. They all seem to give up after glueing the panels together.

I have part 2 almost ready to upload (another 8 mins or so!). I wanted people to be able to watch and pick up on some of the tips that aren't in the instructions.

Thanks for the feedback though. I would love to make a SUP, but this is my first go at anything 'woodworky' so maybe I'll have had enough by the time I finish!!

#4 19 Jun 2012 4:22 pm

fairplay

...sorry, i didn't mean to say anything negative - i am not a native speaker, so: what i meant is that i really enjoyed watching the video - period. Then i added the part about it being almost eight minutes long, just to underline that i actually watched it from beginning to end...i did not mean that the video is too long or boring or anything...i liked it...

...now i am looking forward to part 2 smile ...

Last edited by fairplay (19 Jun 2012 4:22 pm)

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#5 20 Jun 2012 4:00 pm

SinistaPenguin

Sorry Fairplay - I showed it to some friends at work and their comments were all like: 'it's very long' - so I guess I was a bit worried. Still I suppose it's more interesting to someone who is working on a board or something similar, which is who it's really aimed at.

I'm just about to start building up the rail strips - this looks a lot easier than it is in the manual and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to screw the whole thing up at this point!

I looked at the top deck last night and realised that I hadn't paid proper attention to how the grain worked on the planks, so it doesn't look quite as nice as it should, but hey it's still a lot of fun!

#6 25 Jun 2012 12:19 pm

SinistaPenguin

I have uploaded Part 2 - this one is 9min!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZUCSiwczDc

I've started building up the rails and can only hope I'm getting it right, the manual doesn't offer that much guidance on how many strips to use, it just says you only need shorter ones in the middle.

Fingers crossed!

Sinista

#7 25 Jun 2012 6:14 pm

Phil
Employee

Sinista,

It's looking great!  You seem to be making easy work of it. 

Don't forget, if you have any questions or are unsure of anything you can ask Grain direct on the following email:  info 'at' grainsurfboards.com  They have built many, many of these and are best placed to help if it is needed.  They will be only too happy to hear from you and help, as are we.

Keep up the good work and can't wait to see the next installment.

Board footer