A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 9 Sep 2011 7:02 pm

fairplay

...Plans/Kit for a racing rowing shell?...

...for quite some time i am looking to build (or restore) a single racing-rower - as opposed to the recreational rower offered as Oxford Shell - without any luck yet...

...perhaps someone in these forum has another idea where to look? - or Fyne Boat Kits wanted to let us know anyway that there is something like that in the pipeline and to be released shortly?! wink ...

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#2 30 Apr 2012 8:49 pm

marriott1810

Re: ...Plans/Kit for a racing rowing shell?...

Hi

only just found this thread. I built my own wooden racing single back in the  1980s

Some issues:

Can't find anyone to supply sculling boat skin: 3ply 1.8mm with middle ply at 45 degrees, was in 8 ft by 1ft sheets. Anyone know different? Does anyone know if you can make your own from veneer?

Some of the wooden boats from 80s (Karlisch and Donaratico) made in female moulds (like composites) from veneers.

A single is 8.2 metres in length so you need a perfectly flat 9 m work bench to build on. Big investment in time and materials

Need somewhere flat to scarf all the sheets together before laying onto one half of hull

You can copy existing boats as no copyright on racing hull shapes under FISA (international rowing rules)

I would copy a wooden Stampfli if possible as some modern composite boats have curves at bow and stern which ply won't go round.

Definitely go wing rigger as easier and better than shoulders and bolt on riggers.

If some real interest it would be fairly simple to create plans

#3 9 May 2012 9:55 am

fairplay

Re: ...Plans/Kit for a racing rowing shell?...

marriott1810 wrote:

You can copy existing boats as no copyright on racing hull shapes under FISA (international rowing rules)

I would copy a wooden Stampfli if possible as some modern composite boats have curves at bow and stern which ply won't go round.

...thank you for your suggestions and hints!...

...meanwhile (yesterday) i managed to get a really nice rower that has been built in the mid-eighties using a wooden frame and synthetic hull...it has been built by VEB Yachtwerft Berlin in the former eastern Germany...

...a really nice boat and perhaps suited as a blueprint for a future development...just picked it up yesterday (1400km trip) so i will first have to try it on the water...but from what i found online this is also technically a nice boat smile ...

merkur-in-the-middle.jpg

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

Board footer