A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 8 Dec 2011 8:20 am

Richard

Using Masking Tape on Fillets

Jackanory wrote:

One compartment at a time! Rather overdoing the masking tape. But 10 minutes taping avoids all that sanding and there will be plenty of that to do later!

As pointed out by Jackanory in his building log putting masking tape down along the edges of a fillet before making the fillet takes a long time but it gives nice straight lines and saves a lot of sanding later.

But several of us have found that if you do not remove the tape before the filllet is cured the tape is very difficult to get off.  I fount that a wait of about an hour meant it was easy to remove without damaging the fillet.

Last edited by Richard (8 Dec 2011 8:21 am)

Canoe & Kayak Owner

#2 8 Dec 2011 3:45 pm

Paul
Employee

Re: Using Masking Tape on Fillets

When using masking tape it should be laid down at a distance from the joint equal to half of the maximum width of the fillet required.  It is important to make the fillet as normal such that its depth reduces to nothing where it reaches the tape.  The tape is only to catch any slips.  If the fillet is thick on the tape then, when the tape is removed, a wall is formed on the edge of the fillet: this looks odd and is often sharp.

#3 9 Dec 2011 1:07 am

Jackanory

In my ignorance I seem to have avoided this by removing the tape after an hour impatiently wanting to see the result and then running a gloved finger gently along the fillet to achieve a a feathered edge.

#4 19 Apr 2013 4:40 pm

waterwing

Thanks for this posting it was very useful.  I wish I had read it before I messed up my first joint!

Board footer