A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 25 Jun 2024 2:00 pm

Anyfulekno

Angus Rowboats sliding seat kit in Chester Yawl?

Hi

I'm considering building the sliding seat kit from Angus Rowboats and adding it to my Chester Yawl, built last year. I have to say I prefer the look and style over the Big River frame featured on the Fyne Boats store - and it's a fair bit cheaper.

However the Angus images (featuring a different class of boat) all show their sliding seat box seated directly on the bottom of the boat. The Chester Yawl has removable floorboards, presumably to add protection and to create a flat platform for the standard seat.

Is it feasible to remove the floorboards from the Chester Yawl and mount the sliding seat box against the bottom of the boat? (The box sides would be shaped to fit the floor and slotted to 'latch' over the two centre ribs and sit directly on the boat bottom, as in the image of my boat without floorboards). Or is additional protection from the floorboards non-negotiable? Obviously if the floorboards were retained, they'd have to be adapted, along with the height of the sliding seat box itself, to achieve the required seat height and to ensure they remained firmly in place when rowing.

Any thoughts gratefully received - especially if anyone has already tried this. Thanks - Steve

IMG_3296_web.jpgIMG_3297_web.jpg

Last edited by Anyfulekno (27 Jun 2024 5:03 pm)

#2 27 Jun 2024 5:06 pm

Anyfulekno

Re: Angus Rowboats sliding seat kit in Chester Yawl?

Link to sliding seat now fixed  roll

#3 30 Jul 2024 3:08 pm

Simpsonboater

See our wherry build, we adapted the Angus design to the CLC wherry shape.  Used foam tape to protect the inner hull from scuffs. It works really well and if you can dye the wood you can get it to match the hull.

Not sure about the yawl build, is it glassed inside and out?

One thing you'll need to consider is porpoising with a shorter hull. You might want to consider a sliding rigger system if you can find one to fit.

Last edited by Simpsonboater (30 Jul 2024 3:11 pm)

#4 18 Aug 2024 4:08 pm

Anyfulekno

Hi, thanks for your reply, and apologies for the delay in responding. I have seen your build, she looks gorgeous and it’s instructive to see the Angus solution adapted for your purposes. In answer to your question, the inside hull is only partially glassed, approximating to the area covered by the floorboards. I am leaning towards a solution that would lock the Angus frame into the floorboards to provide a flat base, rather than sitting directly on the hull. But you also make a good point about porpoising, which has given me pause for further consideration.

Sonic Blue is currently in Ireland and I haven’t had a chance to row her since launching her last November. However next week I get three weeks to get out on the water and to maybe do a bit of work on her. I have some ideas about fine-tuning the static rowing position and resultant trim. I’m going to try that first and perhaps reserve the Angus project for the winter.

But thanks again for the input, it helped my thought processes!

Board footer