A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 24 Nov 2011 2:46 pm

fairplay

...Wood Duck (10) - glass-cloth or strips inside?...

...at the moment i am trying to understand if the Wood Duck 10 is built using glass-cloth covering the whole inside or just glass-strips that cover the joints between panels?...

...from the photos i have seen both variants exist(ed?)...what is the current status if i'd order a kit (or two wink ) now...

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#2 24 Nov 2011 4:11 pm

Paul
Employee

Re: ...Wood Duck (10) - glass-cloth or strips inside?...

The Wood Ducks have both glass tape and glass fabric.  All of the joints on the inside of the hull are taped and the inside of the cockpit is covered in fabric.

By the way have you thought about the Wood Duck 12 which is the same price?  It is longer with the same beam and has better performance than the Wood Duck 10.

#3 24 Nov 2011 11:42 pm

fairplay

...hey Paul, thank you for the quick reply!...

Paul wrote:

By the way have you thought about the Wood Duck 12

...the paddlers intending to use the Wood Duck(s to be built) are below the age of 10 - while they have a lot of fun paddling with a Pax already, i think the difference in length of just 60cm between the Wood Duck 10 and the Wood Duck 12 might nevertheless be significant for them?...

...if you think my assumption is wrong and recommend the longer Duck for children also i'd go with the Wood Duck 12 instantly...

...the boat we're looking for is a fun- and (day-) touring-kayak for children between 6 and 15 years...wasnt there a rumor that there will be a Pax 12 available soon? smile ...

#4 25 Nov 2011 10:40 am

fairplay

...another question just popped up in my mind - is the reinforcement of the filet by the inner glass-tape between the lower hull and the deck really neccessary?...

...i'd plan to lay the whole lower hull (not only the cockpit) with fabric* and not use glass tape at all, but i would loose the inner-re-inforcement-layer between the hull and the deck...

* why would i want to do this? - the glass-epoxy-layer takes up stretching-forces but is almost useless for pressure; so, if the boat is running over hidden obstacles like stones or some metall-pole in the water, what prevents the hull from cracking is the stretching of the inner layer...

Last edited by fairplay (25 Nov 2011 10:41 am)

#5 26 Nov 2011 9:54 am

fairplay

...never mind - i have decided to go with the Wood Duck 12...

Board footer