A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 2 Mar 2022 9:59 pm

sailingfree

Wood duck 12 hybrid build order

I’ve got to the stage where the hull should be smoothed and sheathed with epoxy/cloth. Doing a dummy fit of the deck forms, it’s clear that the hull shape is going to change slightly, so I was wondering if it would be better to fit the forms, make the deck and then sheath the hull with the forms still in place so the hull won’t need to be cajoled into the correct shape with its glass cloth in place. I know that tons of wood ducks have been built by following the instructions, and things work out fine.

Any thoughts?

#2 5 Mar 2022 12:15 pm

teejay

Re: Wood duck 12 hybrid build order

From my limited experience of 1 build -

- I would agree the deck forms don't fit the hull precisely - but I adjusted them (after glassing the hull) rather than the other way round and it worked out okay.  I certainly took time to ensure the forms were positioned correctly but that would apply whichever sequence you follow.

- The hull sides when glassed have some "give" in them and ensuring a good bond between hull and deck wasn't that difficult - if it was mildly awkward.  So I wouldn't get too concerned as any "cajoling" needed at that stage should be gentle.

- I can see where you're coming from with your idea though - my main concern would be attaching the forms securely enough to build the deck on but temporarily enough so you could remove them - which may be tricky if you're attaching to the bare plywood.

- Otherwise, one advantage would be that by the time you're glassing the hull, if you start on the deck now, the weather should be warmer.  The advice from Curlew on your blog about temperatures and "outgassing" is worth absorbing and taking note of.

All the best

Tim

#3 5 Mar 2022 5:26 pm

sailingfree

Re: Wood duck 12 hybrid build order

Hi Tim, thanks for the thoughts. You're right, one of the advantages would be that I could make some progress while it's still chilly and wait for warmer weather for the hull glassing.

However, I'm going to follow the instructions after all. The main reason is that although its quite easy to get the deck forms to fit (I'd coated the inside with epoxy a week ago), because the plywood is quite soft, I ended up with bumps and hollows where the forms either pushed the hull out a bit in the bow and stern, and pulled it in slightly near the middle, it looked a bit wavy. Of course the glass on the hull would make it quite a bit stiffer and fair the hull shape nicely.

Board footer