A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 27 Jul 2021 8:38 am

Rob

Round mast for skerry

Does anybody have any recommendations for the diameter of a round mast on the skerry, also whether a round mast should be tapered or not, and if so, how much? Although the plans provide for a square mast, I'd prefer the look of a round mast. I will be using a lug rig, so it perhaps needs a slight rake?

The plans include a square hole on the forward seat for the mast, cut out as a 50mm/1 15/16" square, although the booklet states the square mast should be 2" diameter untapered. I was going to make the hole in the forward seat a 70mm circle, and the mast fractionally under this, though that does add a lot more weight to the mast, and is perhaps too big?

I was going to make the mast solid, rather than birdsmouth.

I know previous builders who've used round masts have extended the area behind the mast to allow for the extra size, usually by gluing on a piece of ply supported by a modified mast partner. Though that's possibly because they are from kits. I intend to include that 'extension' as part of the original seat section plan, then just modify the mast partner accordingly.

I also plan to use wooden belay pins rather than cleats for the downhaul and halyard, which will go though holes in the seat either side of the mast. So the mast partner will also be modified to include those.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited by Rob (28 Jul 2021 4:56 pm)

#2 22 Aug 2021 5:08 pm

wilddog

Re: Round mast for skerry

I built a solid round mast for my Skerry and used a sail plan designed by a guy called Todd Bradshaw in the US. The mast is raked back about 7° for a more jaunty look. There's more about all that on my blog of the build. Skerry Build

The mast fit was problematic - I did not cut it very accurately - so the round mast moved in the partner under way and started boring a hole in the hull. I fixed this with what i call the 'Hillary Step' (as I had over come an seemingly insurmountable problem...and I rather like mountaineering ) - a piece of mahogany glued in the mast step to take the wear & tear.

The mast was also a bit loose in the partner so I made a couple of leather sleeves for it and this reduced chaffing, improved the fit and hence performance.

As to diameter for the mast I basically drew a circle round the mast partner in the kit and used that. This seemed to match a 2.5 inch hole cutter i have in my tool bag and it all seemed to work so far.  The mast is solid, made out of 8 pieces of douglas fir supplied by Fyne boats. It's tapered to the top and has a simple dumb sheave for the halyard. The mast works very well.

I also tried to use ash pegs for the downhaul etc, they looked jaunty but were crap to adjust quickly. A modern jammer shackle is far safer and quicker to adjust. Here are a few snaps...

mini_IMG_5975.jpgmini_IMG_5672.jpgmini_IMG_5671.jpgmini_IMG_5670.jpgmini_IMG_2114.jpegmini_IMG_2110.jpeg

Built a Skerry!

#3 25 Aug 2021 10:16 am

Rob

Thanks for replying, that's really helpful! I liked at the 'Hillary Step' reference.

I was also just going to circle the square, so to speak, on the mast partner, as that means I can get a cutter that diameter easily and inexpensively - so I will certainly do that. I will include an additional piece of wood to protect the hull also, just to avoid any future issues. I've looked at your blog and it's really informative and will help a lot. Where did you put the ash pegs when you did try them? I was going to put them either side of the mast through holes drilled into the seat, with some reinforcement underneath like we do for the mast. I do like the look of them, but perhaps I might include both old and modern methods, to give me the option of safety and efficiency, or trad looks and woodiness.

#4 29 Aug 2021 4:21 pm

wilddog

I put an ash peg om the starboard side of the mast for the down haul, but it was not very easy to adjust quickly when I needed to tighten/loosen the luff so I binned it and replaced it with a rolling jam cleat. Miles better.

Built a Skerry!

#5 21 Sep 2021 7:38 am

cometier

I was just also wandering for some recommendations for around mast on the skerry

Board footer