A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 23 Aug 2021 12:31 pm

wilddog

Running repairs

Hello Chums,

Unlike some of you, my boat is now a few years old and I have a few running repairs required.

The fixings holding on of the gudgeons on the starboard side of the stern have come loose and I need a fix. I have tried a slightly larger gauge screw, but it is not biting. Anyone got a clever way of repairing this?

Logic suggests drilling a bigger hole, filling it with Epoxy and then re fixing, but I am concerned that this could also fail. I am tempted to tr to fix a small patch to the inside  of the aft  flotation tank where the hole is and then fill & redrill, but again, not idea if I will be able to manage this.

Any/all clever ideas appreciated.

Built a Skerry!

#2 23 Aug 2021 2:42 pm

Simpsonboater

Re: Running repairs

Woodflour and epoxy mix is pretty solid, if you dish the top as it goes off it'll stop your drill from sliding out.

#3 23 Aug 2021 2:51 pm

spclark

Welcome Wilddog! I just stopped by after seeing your post in the epic Waterlust thread here, saw this one in the index.

Can you post pics? It's super easy here; you need help, don't hesitate to ask!

You have a Skerry right? Kit-built from marine ply? You have access to the interior where the fittings have loosened?

Best approach is to probe around the fastener holes with an icepick or similar, try to determine if there's punky wood underneath the exterior 'glass+epoxy layer. Whatever you find ought to come out, for replacement with a fresh piece of ply, then recovered for protection.

Short of that you could epoxy in another piece of ply inside, backing up the punky stuff, the new piece will hold fasteners.

These boats are easily repairable. Sometimes a user needs to just get on with it despite their hesitancy over making things more difficult from lack of experience. If you didn't build your skerry the uncertanties are greater! Why I suggest pictures of the suspect areas, so the others reading can get an idea of what you're confronted by.

#4 24 Aug 2021 3:34 pm

wilddog

Thanks, will post pics when I get the chance.

Built a Skerry!

Board footer