A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 4 Jul 2021 9:39 am

Simon G

Chesapeake 16 bulkheads

I have my hull all wired together and the next step is fitting the bulkheads. Both of them are smaller than is required for fitting them at the specified distance from the bow - I have to move them towards each end of the boat to get a good fit. For the aft bulkhead there is not much difference, but for the forward bulkhead it has to go quite a few centimetres towards the bow. Does this matter? I wondered whether I have the whole hull too wide, but I have checked the beam width.

#2 5 Jul 2021 1:20 pm

Phil
Employee

Re: Chesapeake 16 bulkheads

Hi Simon, It sounds perfectly normal and think the manual says the bulkheads may need to be moved or fettled to make a good fit.  The easiest method is to move them until they do fit which is what you have done.  The really crucial thing to watch for is the rear bulkhead as this needs not to be too far back as this is where the rear of the cockpit coaming is set.  So, if that is in the right place, then you should be fine.  Your seat will be approx 100mm forward of the rear bulkhead. 

There is more flexibility with the forward bulkhead.  The main thing to watch out for is that it is not too far forwards so you cannot get your deck hatch in.  The hatch goes forwards of the forward bulkhead.  So as long as you can get the forward hatch in, then all should be good. 

If you want to check anything just send us an email or phone.

#3 5 Jul 2021 1:32 pm

Simon G

Re: Chesapeake 16 bulkheads

Thanks for the advice. I think the way I had the boat clamped into the supports was distorting it a bit. Now I have got the bulkheads in the right places and it's all pretty good but the beam width has become a little bit less. Everything looks nice and smooth and straight though, so I went ahead and glued it with tabs of epoxy in preparation for removing the wires.

Board footer