A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 6 May 2021 11:44 am

SailorPete

Interesting new boat kits ...

My procrastination and indecision on my next build continues as I try to work out how to make space for it (and fix the roof!).  Two interesting boats have recently popped up on the Fyne website: the Mebo 12 and the Kombi canoe.  Both would meet some of my ideal boat wishlist*, which is currently headed by the Skerry.  Two questions:

1. The prototype Kombi doesn't seem to have been completed yet.  Are there any complete boats and how well does it meet the 50/50 paddling / sailing promise?

2. Would a more trad rig like the lugsail for the CLC designs work on the Mebo?  A quick sketch suggests that the centre of effort would be in a similar place (fore and aft). 

* Wishlist (in order of priority):
Sail power
Paddle/oar power
Fit in a smallish garage
Can be carried on a car roof on shortish journeys
Relatively straightforward build
Camping aboard if possible

#2 1 Mar 2022 10:26 am

SailorPete

Re: Interesting new boat kits ...

Well, in the absence of a any other replies, I'll start to answer my own question (10 months on!  Roof is fixed at least!)

Michael Storer has posted this video of the Kombi, which shows it sailing.  It strikes me that the leeboard is spaced out from the gunwale, so there will an unnecessarily high twisting moment on the gunwale.  I would prefer it bearing directly on the gunwale to reduce the twisting moment, or better still, dagger board on the centre line, but then it becomes a different sort of boat and harder to build ...

I'm looking forward to seeing it being paddled before I take the plunge.

Board footer