A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 27 Feb 2018 4:01 pm

Harvey

Eastport Pram - Dimensional Accuracy Issue?

I am in the process of building an Eastport Pram using plans only. I think there may be an issue with the dimensions of the Bow Transom at Plank 1. The dimension on the full-size plan of the transom measures approx. 100mm whereas the width of Plank1 at the bow is 3.29 inches or 83.6mm less the 10mm rebate on the bottom edge of the plank which leaves 73.6mm.

I have checked and double checked the calculations and measured the planks which I have cut and the one inconsistency seems to be the bow transom diagram.

Any help would be appreciated.

Harvey

#2 1 Mar 2018 9:38 am

Paul
Employee

Re: Eastport Pram - Dimensional Accuracy Issue?

Harvey,
Thank you for pointing this out.  Well over 800 of these boats have been built, although I am not sure how many have been built from plans, so it was a bit of a surprise to hear of your difficulties.  We spoke on the telephone and have found out that the problem lies in the quality of these very old plans that were originally produced by dyeline: one 6 now looks more like a 5.  As you noticed, it is important that the panel is the same size as the step in the transom.  Luckily, plans made in the last twelve or so years are done electronically and are not subject to degredation.

Thank you for taking the trouble to let us know rather than simply amending your plans and we shall now make a note to send with every set of plans we sell from now on.

Board footer