A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 18 Jul 2017 3:17 pm

RFMD

Hybrid Kaholo 14 build

Found some areas that I would do over inside the hull. Thwarts were tight on this build. I found forming the deck and transome to be a joy for a first time. however I advise that several coats to the interior to ensure each seam between planks are air tight essential. Drilling a small vent hole is also essential during the build especially if sanding outdoors.  I will be placing the vents tonight in two places one per instruction and a second under the carrying handle for easy access while on the water. I found the brass vents in New Zealand with thumb screws far better than the chemistry lab black cork with garden plumbing for appearance purpose.  I will show this one in October at the Wooden boat show Georgetown SC.  But for now final coat of epoxy on the hull and flipped for final sanding and drilling the vents and securing them and application of the final coat of epoxy.  Then the journey to the final varnish coat. If that exist lol

image.jpeg
mini_image_20170718-1607.jpeg
image_20170718-1608.jpeg
image_20170718-1624.jpeg
image_20170718-1625.jpeg

Last edited by RFMD (18 Jul 2017 3:20 pm)

#2 14 Sep 2017 8:02 pm

RFMD

Re: Hybrid Kaholo 14 build

I will have all three boats in the Georgetown Wooden Boat Show next month Weird requirement all boats must be named. The Kaholo will be named In..Let Peace

#3 14 Oct 2017 1:08 pm

Sharpy

Nice.

#4 25 Oct 2017 6:52 pm

CrimeaRiver

Oooh, that is very nice!

Congrats on creating a beautiful SUP.

I completed a 12' 6" Kaholo last year for my daughter and would really liked to have fitted a strip wood deck. Mine turned out OK though, with my daughter deciding on a laminated fabric deck decoration. Instead of using foam pads for anti-slip I put some translucent deck grip strips on top of the final finish and within the outline of the laminated fabric - you can just make them out in the photo below:

20170512_114824comp.jpeg
(Above) Launch day at Loch Morlich below the Cairngorm mountains in the Scottish Highlands. Old snow patches still on the mountains in June. (I also made the cranked paddle.)

P1050013comp.jpeg
(Above) Decided to finish the deck with 'scratch resistant' automotive clear coat lacquer (we'll see just how scratch resistant it really is in due course....). In the past I'd carried out a few bodywork repairs to my cars so had an air compressor and a couple of half-decent (and low cost) auto grade paint spraying guns. The clear coat went on really well after I'd carefully flatted and prepped the epoxy. Actually, all the work is in the prep since the all clear coat goes on within the space of an hour on a warm day.

Fairly pleased with the result. So was my daughter!

Last edited by CrimeaRiver (25 Oct 2017 6:57 pm)

Recidivist wooden surfboard builder!
Built a Kaholo 12' 6" SUP from plans
Built a NE Dory from plans

Board footer