A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 18 Sep 2017 12:09 am

Birger Ohberg

Recommended temperature when building a boat

Hello!

I am thinking about building a boat during the winter.

What is the recommended temperature (minimum temperature) when building a boat?

#2 22 Sep 2017 8:42 am

Ian
Employee

Re: Recommended temperature when building a boat

Welcome to the forum!

The epoxy we supply with the kits will work at about 15°C, but it is easier to use (less viscous) if it is warmer.  You only need to heat the epoxy though, not the whole shed; putting the bottles in a plant propagator or photographic tray works well.  Definitely keep the bottles off the cold floor.

You might want to put a small heater under the boat as well, to warm the wood before the epoxy touches it, but when you are fibreglassing you should turn it off when you start, otherwise bubbles come out of the wood as it warms up and get trapped under the glass.

Other than that, your shed just needs to be warm enough for you to work in it.  Remember to store your epoxy somewhere warm when your not using it though, otherwise it takes a long time to warm it back up.

There's more information on using epoxy in cold weather here: http://www.pecepoxy.co.uk/info/faq/#can … ld-weather

#3 22 Sep 2017 8:54 am

Birger Ohberg

Thanks for your reply!

After having thought things through I think I would prefer to build my boat during one of your boat building courses. When will you publish the dates for the courses 2018?

#4 22 Sep 2017 9:07 am

Ian
Employee

The first one will probably be in March/April, but we haven't worked out the dates yet.  I hope we'll have some to announce soon.  Please feel free to suggest the dates you prefer and we'll see if we can do it.

#5 22 Sep 2017 10:44 am

Birger Ohberg

I would suggest the week before the Easter days (26-30 March)

#6 27 Sep 2017 9:20 am

Ian
Employee

We've just finalised the dates for the next round of courses and the first one is the week you suggested.

Boat-Building Courses

Board footer