A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 22 Feb 2017 11:30 am

Jimmynich

Epoxy resin pot life

My resin and hardener are stored and mixed in my centrally heated house - say 22c. Temperature in the workshop is between 12 and 18c. However the mix goes off after about 10 minutes. What am I doing wrong or what can I do to extend the pot life?

#2 22 Feb 2017 10:35 pm

DerekD

Re: Epoxy resin pot life

At the temperatures you quote 10 minutes sounds about right to me.

The higher temperature and more hardener you use the faster the curing process. Avoid the temptation to add a little extra hardener "just to be sure".

If you store and mix the materials in the workshop at around 16 - 18 degrees that will help slow things down.
Keep stirring the mix (without letting your hand heat the pot) as stirring helps dissipate heat which occurs in the mix as it cures.

While its important that the resin is mixed thoroughly take care that you are not losing time by over mixing

Prepare the area so that all your time is spent applying resin and not moving other things into or out of position.

Apologies for this last bit but how long does it take to get from the mixing area to the workshop?

Like you I stored in a warm place (my shed) and worked elsewhere (cold damp garage). I mixed as I walked between the two as I hoped that the cool open air would cool the mix and slow things down a bit and give me more working time with the resin.

#3 27 Feb 2017 2:51 pm

Jimmynich

Re: Epoxy resin pot life

Derek,
That's great, Thanks very much. I appreciate your help,
Jimmynich.

Board footer