A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 10 Oct 2016 4:56 pm

AndrewG

Tumblehome join on Nymph canoe

Just getting to the tricky bit on the Nymph canoe construction where the tumblehome joins to the rest of the hull. I can see the  line I have to cut in the lower tumblehome strips, but cant see what join to do when you plane off upper and lower strips to fit exactly.

How do you get a good even joint? Do you butt the lower cedar strips (the ones that make up the tumblehome) against the upper ones?  or plane both so that you bisect the angle of the forms (miter joint)? Both options seem tricky to me!

Is it just a matter of trial and error or are there some clever tools like guided rebate planes that make the job easier? Can anyone recommend a good plane for this sort of job?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

#2 11 Oct 2016 12:18 pm

Derek Blay

Re: Tumblehome join on Nymph canoe

Andrew

I made a pair of Nymphs a copuple of years ago and ran into same problem.

I read and re-read the instructions and studied the plans for ages before giving up and building my boats without any tumblehome.'

The area of tumblehome is quite small and doesnt provide any real clearance for paddling which is what I believe its for.

Rather than risk messing up[ the hull I did a straight strip planking job ands it turned out well

If you e-mail me on [redacted] I can send some photos which may be useful

Derek Blay

[Admin edit: redacted email to prevent spam.  Log in and use the 'email' link on the left to send an email.]

Last edited by Fyne Boat Kits (11 Oct 2016 1:27 pm)

#3 6 Dec 2016 5:34 pm

billinness

I have just started building my Nymph from plans. Laminated inner stem yesterday - not sure how to mount it on the forms. Looking at instruction book the end forms seem to be notched to allow it to the inner stem extend towards the middle of boat but no instruction given to do this. any suggestions?

Bill

#4 12 Dec 2016 11:50 am

Derek Blay

Bill

you are correct - end form is notched to take inner stem so that stem e

xtends into the hull.

I went even further and installed a hardwood keel to protect bottom cedar strip when beaching

I will e-mail some photos of my boat which may be useful

Derek Blay

Board footer