A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 13 Oct 2016 8:22 pm

harrykee

first time builder of Northeaster dory

I have just started work building from plans and I'm really looking forward. The plans are great but I can also see the benefit of paying a bit extra for the kit!

I will need the correct quantity of epoxy, cloth, fillers etc and I want to make sure I do not leave myself short.
Can you make up the quantities from the dinghy building bundle plus additional items to equal or exceed slightly the CLC #3 MAS economy kit.
I would appreciate your help in the form of a shopping list if possible.
Thanks

#2 13 Oct 2016 9:48 pm

CrimeaRiver

Re: first time builder of Northeaster dory

There's a comprehensive 'Materials List for Plans Builders' for the NE Dory in the shop section of Chesapeake Light Craft's website. (Fyne Boats distribute CLC designs, kits etc under licence.)

Just started a NE Dory build myself!

Last edited by CrimeaRiver (13 Oct 2016 9:56 pm)

Recidivist wooden surfboard builder!
Built a Kaholo 12' 6" SUP from plans
Built a NE Dory from plans

#3 14 Oct 2016 11:09 am

Paul
Employee

Fyne Boat Kits are the manufacturers of the kits for the European market and as such have all of the materials that are needed to build the boat.  You will find the correct bill of materials on page 14 of the manual.

Incidentally, we offer email or telephone advice as you build the boat.

#4 15 Oct 2016 6:55 pm

harrykee

I will put together my own list as you say,  but the CLC specs aren't the same as Fyne Boats. Eg one is by weight while the other is by volume. I was hoping Fyne boats would say as an example "get the dinghy pack and an extra litre of epoxy, 10 extra metres of cloth and another pack of filler"
Thanks anyway, Paul. I'll let you know if I ever need help.

Has anyone bought a suit of sails from an established sailmaker for the NE Dory. Is the size similar to any production dinghy?

Last edited by harrykee (15 Oct 2016 6:56 pm)

#5 17 Oct 2016 8:40 am

Paul
Employee

Some of the epoxy we supply is sold by the litre and some by the kilogramme.  I have no idea why this is but for estimating consumption purposes the measures are inter-changeable.  One litre of the epoxies we use is very close to one kg in weight.

I do not have the manual in front of me but the bill of materials is in the manual.  If I remember correctly it is 12kg that is needed.

We supply ready made sails for the boat.

#6 17 Oct 2016 3:50 pm

Derek Blay

Paul
Hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in but having made a majior cock-up yerars ago  (in a different field) may I warn of possible p;roblem converting from CLC US spec s to those of Fyne Boats

Remember that tne US gallon qouted by CLC in onlyb 0.625 ogf the impereial gallon,
Also bewerae US ,short tons.which are 2000 lbs iknstead of the usual 2240- lbs
So mak,e sure you convert to imperial before talking to uk suppliers

Apologies for teaching Gran to suck egs!Q!!!

Derek Blay

Board footer