A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 3 Jun 2016 12:22 pm

AndrewCS

Painting Sequence

Hi, I'm about to put the fibreglass on the hull and have planned to subsequently paint the bottom of the boat. In the instructions it says that you can varnish or paint within 72 hours of applying and finishing the epoxy. However I've spent too long on the internet and I am sure I read somewhere that you should paint or varnish within a set period of time to achieve a good bond with the epoxy before it fully cures. Completing the epoxy of the hull was to be my last job before a short holiday and I am concerned that I may miss the optimum window for applying the paint, any advice?

#2 3 Jun 2016 9:48 pm

DerekD

Re: Painting Sequence

Don't worry about the time. Worry about the preparation.

I have only read of optimum times for adding further epoxy layers on epoxy or applying paint/varnish on paint/varnish.

Whether painting or varnishing it is very likely that the epoxy will need some sanding to ease out any blemishes, high spots ripples etc. also epoxy can also be "greasy/waxy" once it has set and may need a wash with soapy water to remove that.

If the epoxy is "waxy" and isn't cleaned then that will affect the adhesion of paint or varnish and trying to sand epoxy which hasn't gone off fully is unlikely to go well.

A simple wash with soapy water and then a light sanding to provide a key for the paint or varnish will provide a suitable bond.

Enjoy your holiday!

#3 4 Jun 2016 8:56 pm

AndrewCS

Re: Painting Sequence

Thanks!

Board footer