A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

1. Index
  2. » General
  3. » Camping

#1 22 Jul 2015 1:49 pm

wilddog

Camping

With my Skerry built, my mind is starting to wander to rigging her for a camping.

I need to work out how to rig some sort of sleeping platform in the boat and frankly I am not sure how I would go about doing this. I have to factor in the sail, which would be taken down for the night and stowed.

Interested to hear from anyone else who has successfully rigged a Skerry for camping and how they managed it. The other solution is just to carry a lightweight tent!

Andy

Built a Skerry!

#2 24 Jul 2015 7:49 pm

DerekD

Re: Camping

Not sure if this will be helpful as I haven't followed the idea through completely yet.

I have been slowly working towards a camping solution for my Lutra Laker, a different boat but similar issues.

I intend to use a folding camp bed which I presently use in a tent. The bed is only supported at 3 legs/points and so will span the gaps between my decks, I still have to configure a support for one end of the bed but that should be simple enough.

I bought some ripstop waterproof cloth to use as tenting and a couple of cheap supermarket festival tents on end of season sale - £5 each just to acquire the poles. I intend using these poles as hoops/arches along the length of the boat simply poking the pole ends into holes drilled in the gunnels.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to putting it all together yet as it was a "standby" idea if further camping restrictions were imposed on Loch Lomond but it looks as though I can carry on with a tent for now.

I think my idea might work for your boat or hopefully at least trigger a solution of your own.

Derek

Last edited by DerekD (25 Jul 2015 12:14 am)

#3 25 Jul 2015 5:55 am

wilddog

Re: Camping

Yes I had thought of cannibalising a camp bed!

I had been also thinking about making a sleeping bunk from a 7 ft sheet of canvass with long loops sewn either side that would take the oars. This would be held apart at either end by a thwart. The whole contraption then lies across the seats. Might work, but not great if the oars are wet from a days action or suddenly required at mid night if the anchor slips!

Not sure what to do about then tent part, but a simple tarp from the mast running over a line to a cleat at the stern would work.

Built a Skerry!

1. Index
  2. » General
  3. » Camping

Board footer