A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 2 Jul 2015 7:55 am

wilddog

SW meet for "Fyne Boat Club" members

Are there any Fyne Boat builders in the South West who fancy organising a meet down this way at some point this summer? I know of 3 or 4 builders who have recently completed their projects in and around Devon and I am sure it might be fun to meet, take to the water, compare notes and afterwards slurp on a refreshing thirst quencher while languishing in the Barmaid's Arms?

Last edited by wilddog (2 Jul 2015 7:55 am)

Built a Skerry!

#2 6 Jul 2015 4:21 pm

Little Egrett

Re: SW meet for "Fyne Boat Club" members

Great idea, it would be nice to meet up at some point but we are not quite ready to launch our Skerry yet.  Obtaining suitable "wheels" in the form of a road trailer is proving rather more of a challenge than we anticipated so any advice on this would be great!  We'd originally planned to car top her, but our roof rack supports must be no more than 3 feet apart which provides very little stability. Our initial "wade", wheels permitting, will be just under oars, hopefully in July, in/around the Avon in South Devon.  Then hopefully before the summer is out we be able to take her out for a sail.

#3 7 Jul 2015 5:55 pm

wilddog

The Avon is on my hit list too! We're on the Exe.

As to trailers, I found mine on Apollo Duck and very nice trailer for about £200 so I did well. The skerry is a pretyy long boat, so you need to make sure that what ever you buy will be good for a 15' er.  I tried hard to get one on ebay, but they get snapped up fast.

There is a trailer company near Honiton who you can buy from direct (Admiral?? Google them) , otherwise, you'll need to find a dealer. New ones are about £5-600+ I think....

Perhaps FB might have some recommendations?

I have borrowed a SH launching trolley from a local friend which makes things easier at the sailing club, but a good road trailer will do if you plan to keep her at home as the skerry is light enough for two people to lift to the launch point from the trailer with ease. And of course if you have a slipway handy, you can just put the trailer in the water.

Let us know when you're ready for a sail and we'll try and organise a FB Devon rally!

Built a Skerry!

#4 13 Jul 2015 3:15 pm

Rainbow

I'd be up for a meet and bring my Guillemot kayak along.  I'd be interested to see some of the sailing boats as I might well try a build as a future project.

Board footer