A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 1 May 2015 11:55 am

mtompson

Smooth fillets!

my fillets tend to be a bit rough, I see the advice on brushing over with clear resin after they have stiffened a little. Does anyone have the best method for nice smooth, hardly need sanding! fillets :-)
If I add too much silica to the top coats they end up a little too yellow or creamy in colour.

I have a fair few to do now to finish up so would appreciate any tips.

many thanks

Building a Skerry

#2 2 May 2015 12:54 pm

wilddog

Re: Smooth fillets!

My filets were all done using my sooper-dooper mix...but I confess I can't quite remember what it was...! I recall posting it somewhere on the forum.

From memory the mix was a scoop of filler and a scoop of silica to a normal mix of epoxy. The mix was not too runny and then the trick was to wazz it on quickly. I did not bother masking up along side the filets, rather I chose to use the natural width of the fielting tool to scrap a clean line. Excess was then scooped up using what I called my 'plough stick" which was just a mixing stick snapped at a jaunty angle to forma pointy tool.

I think it helped that most of my fileting was done when it was quite cold which meant the goop did not set to quickly and had time to settle. However, I hear tell that one of the best solutions is to wait for the filets to cure for a while and then use a meths soaked rag to smooth off any imperfections for before they are set.

Mine filet's seem to have passed the 2m boat inspection test down at the club where I am still hoping to launch any time soon.

Andy

Built a Skerry!

#3 8 May 2015 11:06 am

mtompson

Thanks Wilddog! I'll be in this summer ( even if she still needs a coat or two of paint & varnish! )

Building a Skerry

#4 9 May 2015 7:05 pm

wilddog

We launched Saffron today - see the boat launch page...! We'll have to arrange a get together on the Dart in the summer.

Interestingly we have another Fyne boat builder at our club. Almost enough of us for a FB rallly in Devon!

Built a Skerry!

#5 21 May 2015 10:22 am

mtompson

Well done on the launch, she looks great. I'll be in this summer, but I may have to launch with unfinished coats of paint & varnish else I fear time will get me again!

Building a Skerry

Board footer