A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#26 11 Aug 2013 8:23 pm

Jason Gillingham

Re: Houdini Build

Finally got around to leathering the mast today. I had been putting this off as I hadnt tackled anything similar before but it went reasonably well. I now feel ready to tackle a set of oars next. Duckworks website had a useful beginners guide for the process, including a neat trick for hiding the ends of the lacing.
mastleatherhalfway.jpgmastleathering-complete_20130811-2123.jpg

#27 21 Jun 2014 8:35 pm

Jason Gillingham

I thought I should share some photos of the launchIMG_6352_20140621-2140.jpeg.
It was a bit gusty so we sailed with an (untidy) reef in the sailIMG_6356.jpeg.
I was really impressed with how the boat performed even with the reduced sail areaIMG_6363.jpeg.
I just know it will be a great introduction to sailing for the kids (stable, forgiving and room for a picnic).

Last edited by Jason Gillingham (22 Jun 2014 7:06 pm)

#28 23 Jun 2014 10:29 am

Paul
Employee

Jason,

Thank you so much for posting the build pictures and the launch ones.  You have made a wonderful job of the build and I am sure that you will get many years of pleasure from using the boat.

#29 25 Jun 2014 9:48 am

Jason Gillingham

Paul,

Thanks for the positive comments. The build was helped greatly by the fact that if I had any technical questions or needed additional materials you and the staff at Fyne Boats were able to advise or ship stuff out when required.

Best regards
Jason

#30 5 Oct 2014 4:39 pm

boatguy249

I've read one builder's comments about the Houdini plans (as of his 2009 build) that are not complimentary:

"The plans consist of five photocopied A1 sheets. Ostensibly these are 'scale plans', but I found them to be otherwise. The inconsistencies between stated scales and enumerated dimensions are not uniform, which rules out any error from the photocopying process. Instead I believe that the original drawings have been updated with newer dimension values (as a result of corrections coming out of actually building the design). Unfortunately the drawings themselves have not be updated to match. This is irritating on several fronts, not least because many dimension values are not stated, or are scattered across multiple sheets and boat parts, leading to much derivation of dimension values (by adding up various numbers) instead of simply being able to measure off the plans directly (which is what 'scale plans' are for). Sometimes leaps of logic have to be applied as well."

Did you find this to be the case?  I realize that your plans may be updates from those he used.

#31 5 Oct 2014 5:10 pm

Derek Blay

Boatguy

Forgive me sticking my oar in -I havent seen the Houdini plans but I have been involved with engineering drawing for a long time.

Prints taken off transparent originals are rarely exactly to scale and most drawing sheet blanks have a note 'Do not Scale.

Before CaD systems it was very time consuming to alter a drawing so often a revised dimension would given as.say, 10'-0" NTS,

meaning Not to scale.

Even with CAD he same things happen due to pressure of work.

But you are right to expect all relevant dimensions to be clearly shown to avoid the need to scale.

As a last resort you can calculate what the error is and apply that as a a factor for unmarked dimensions but it has its risks.

I guess dimensions are like orders - for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men!

#32 5 Oct 2014 5:55 pm

Jason Gillingham

The plans are not as detailed as some I have used for other builds, where for simpler stitch and glue boats a complete table of offsets is given for each plank, or full size templates are supplied. This boat does require a bit more thinking time to put the build together and sometimes you have to use some degree of your own input when making sure the curves are fair etc. However there have been a lot of these boats built by people with various levels of skill and experience and they all seem to turn out well.

The dimensions are on various sheets but there is some logic applied to where they have been placed. I can safely say that on the two or three occasions where I thought a dimension was missing I would go away have a cup of tea and then return to the plans afresh and be able to work out the measurement required. I can only vaguely remember one wrongly dimensioned element on the plans which I think related to the centreboard case. It was immediatley apparent that it was wrong and commonsense overrode it. I never scaled off the plans, this seems to be a surefire way of introducing inaccuracies into the build. I always used the written dimensions.

I am glad that this wasnt the first boat I built but equally I am glad I built it as it has been great fun to sail and very stable with the family on board.

I did smash a hole in the hull three weeks ago when I hit an almost totally submerged steel buoy, but the boat was robust enough to be gaffer taped up to get back to the sailing club where a more permanent repair has been carried out.

#33 5 Oct 2014 6:52 pm

boatguy249

Thanks for your quick reply.  I've built 2 glued lapstrake boats along with a stripper canoe and a SOF kayak, so I think I can handle this build.  The comments from another builder that I quoted to you got me a bit concerned about the plans.

Steve
from Austin, TX, across the 'pond'

#34 12 Apr 2015 1:37 pm

wilddog

Jason,

Nice to meet you down the club today and thanks for your kind words about my Skerry.

I had been hoping to get her in the water this Easter week, but the crew are shilly-shallying with some sort of Flu and have been bedridden. I expect it is just an attempt to shirk the bilge scrubbing duties that they are convinced the skipper has in mind for them!

We must arrange a Team Fyne sail. Last one to the boozer is a rotten egg and all that.

Andy

Built a Skerry!

#35 13 Apr 2015 2:55 pm

Jason Gillingham

Andy,

Its always a pleasure to meet a fellow home boat builder.

I really liked the look of your skerry. Great finish and great quality plywood and timber from Fyne Boats. I will keep an eye out for you on the water once the crew are feeling better.

Best regards

Jason

#36 2 May 2015 11:58 am

wilddog

Jason,

Well your kind comments about my Skerry were appreciated! She is still sitting down at the club un-launched! I have been away filming in America and have had to deal with sick crew. Now it is raining this weekend and my son has the temerity to tell me that his GCSE exams are more important that mucking about on the water!

I'll get there soon!

Andy

Built a Skerry!

Board footer