A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 22 Sep 2013 5:23 pm

pam5

Launch of Oystercatcher (Expedition Wherry)

Here are some photos of the new boat first time on the water.  can anyone guess where this is.  The boat itself was fantastic, it was relatively stable and quite fast.  I have some work to do on the rowing unit to lift the pins to help the blades get over the chop without clashing my legs. IMG_1089.jpgIMG_1092.jpgIMG_1120.jpgIMG_1129.jpgIMG_1131.jpgIMG_1112.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_1122.jpg

#2 3 Nov 2013 7:24 pm

BlackBDR

Re: Launch of Oystercatcher (Expedition Wherry)

Pam5,

Beautiful boat!  Your workmanship and creativity are obviously impressive.  I just received an Expedition Wherry and a Kaholo 14 SUP from CLC Boats here in the States.  After seeing the Expedition Wherry in a varnished hull and photos of yours with a white hull, I'm definitely painting the hull white.  The rub rail is a perfect transition from paint to varnish.  I'm thinking about varnishing the transom too, but the transition from paint to varnish there is not as obvious. What is your opinion, would you "wrap" the paint around from the hull to the transom a half an inch or so, or simply transition at the "corner" of the hull and the transom?

I solved the "clashing legs" issue by switching to a Frontrower.  As the name implies you face forward to row. Because you can see the waves in front of you you can lift the oars over them.  I've used it in my Little River Marine Heritage 15 wherry for years, sometimes in very sloppy conditions.

Thanks,
John

#3 4 Nov 2013 8:19 pm

pam5

Hi john, thanks for the comment about the boat. I considered the varnished transom but thought I would prefer the white paint with the motif.  I also marked the transom with the sander before painting and got some lines that would not sand out without going to the next level laminate.......so it had to be painted.  regarding your question, I think the best result would be for you to have the transom entire surface varnished and the white paint meeting only the very edge and not passed the edge.  if it were me, I would varnish the transom first then paint the hull  and wipe off any spill of the white paint that drifts over onto the transom  before it dries.  it should be easy to do this. 

regards paul

#4 3 Jan 2014 12:11 pm

Robpeek79

Pam5 / Paul,

As the kids say these days - PIMP.  This is a beautiful boat.

Rob

Great wife quote......   "You can't possibly need a paddle board!"

#5 20 Jul 2014 3:27 pm

Jurrasicsailor

Paul, I am hoping to get an expedition wherry kit sometime soon.  How did you make that deck?  I've never seen anything so beautiful.  It really makes the boat perfect.  Is that something a careful newbie could do?  I have experience with fiberglass and have built a plywood boat.  Thanks in advance

#6 21 Jul 2014 11:01 am

Yambo

Lovely boat Paul, that deck is a thing of beauty.

Board footer