A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 16 May 2014 7:57 pm

mtompson

hi-build primer

Does anyone advocate using hi-build primer? Lets say that there may be the odd little mark to help smooth out on the bottom of my boat, but I'm worried I am going to sand forever to get it perfect!
Is the primer sold here from Fyne a hi-build primer? If not does it fill the odd mark well enough?

I'm not being too lazy, I just want to get floating :-)

many thanks

Building a Skerry

#2 17 May 2014 12:48 pm

DerekD

Re: hi-build primer

Hi,

I have used the primer supplied by Fyne boats and it does have a build capacity to help smooth things out.
Personally I didn't worry about a perfect finish for the bottom of my boat as the first beach or rocky shore I hit is sure to redefine the finish so why knock yourself out over that.

#3 18 May 2014 8:55 pm

mtompson

Thanks Derek, and I guess your right about not worrying too much!

Building a Skerry

#4 19 May 2014 7:35 am

wilddog

Indeed! Get the boat in the water! How far off a dipping are you?

Work has thrown a spanner in my works and I have not been able to do anything serious on the boat for about a month until this weekend.   I managed to get a good session in this weekend sanding the interior and prepping for the interior glass, with the glorious weather goading me and spurring me on...! I still have a vague hope of being in the water by the end of the month...!

Built a Skerry!

#5 20 May 2014 9:26 pm

mtompson

I still have a way to go. Just about to add side rails, then glass interior, then seats! Bottom looks good, skegs & breasthooks are on. I can't guess at a date yet, but I bet July / Aug.

Building a Skerry

Board footer