A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#26 19 Sep 2013 9:14 pm

pam5

Re: Expedition Wherry, first build in the UK.

just a bit of woodwork tonight to make the hatch toggles.  They will look good when I have them coated with resin and varnished. I will secure the bolts into the captive holes with a small amount of epoxy, and then once dry I will backfill the holes with a black silicone sealer. I am aiming to launch the boat this weekend all going to plan.
IMG_1074.jpgIMG_1075.jpg

#27 20 Sep 2013 9:07 am

Richard

lovely.  what are you building next?

Last edited by Richard (20 Sep 2013 9:07 am)

Canoe & Kayak Owner

#28 20 Sep 2013 5:27 pm

pam5

apparently a whole load of furniture on my wife's job list and apparently not another boat for some time.....ho hummm

#29 21 Sep 2013 8:00 pm

pam5

Almost complete, the toggles have been varnished (they look good enough to eat) and we added the name to the boat today.  fitted up set up the rowing unit.  launch day tomorrow weather permitting.
IMG_1078.jpgIMG_1084.jpgIMG_1080.jpgIMG_1082.jpg

#30 22 Sep 2013 4:25 pm

pam5

And at last, the boat on the water.  See the locations section to see more photos.
IMG_1089.jpgIMG_0024.jpg

#31 29 Sep 2013 4:00 pm

pam5

Just trying out the new accommodation, quite nice, it will give me a good view of him rowing....
IMG_1143.jpg

#32 22 Oct 2013 8:03 pm

pam5

Here is some feedback about the initial rowing trials I did on holiday in Scotland, unfortunately the weather wasn’t so good and there weren’t many photos.  I have also added a couple of photos of bits and bobs that help me transport the boat off and on the roof and to the waters
IMG_1159.jpgIMG_1156.jpg

The rowing is difficult; I have found the rowing unit with its outriggers quite awkward.  There was a feeling I needed to increase the size of the oarlock pins to give clearance of the oar handles off my thighs and to keep the blades out of the water on the return stroke.  This was the case and I have increased the length by a few inches (had to make some new stainless steel pins on a lathe).  This has helped.  In my view the oars I have bought are not ideal for this boat if it is to be rowed on choppy water.  Of course these views are heavily influenced by the fact I am a complete novice at rowing with a proper rowing unit.  In my other boat you just plunked in the seat and off you go, with this one it is all technique and the feathering of the oars is a must as there just isn’t enough clearance from the water if you don’t.  I am sure as I practice more things will get better.  At this point in time I couldn’t go on the water with anything more than a little chop.  Like with everything, practice will make perfect and I aim to get a lot more practice in as later in the year we will be off to Scotland again.

Overall I am very pleased with the project, the boat was easy to build and looks fantastic.  I feel for the overall cost of the entire project you get a fantastic craft for a relatively small cost. Thanks for reading

Paul

IMG_1095.jpg

#33 30 Nov 2013 4:16 pm

pam5

here are some shots from an early morning row on Wastwater in Wasdale Cumbria.  I have raised the rowing pins up a bit and it seems to have worked well.  I have a feeling that when I get used to the technique, I will lower them down a bit.  The boat cruises along quite easily at 4.5-5 knots and It would be possible to keep this speed up for quite a time once you have mastered the technique.  hope you enjoy the shots.
IMG_1259.jpgIMG_1241.jpgIMG_1248_2.jpgIMG_1251.jpgIMG_1256.jpgIMG_1261.jpg

#34 1 Dec 2013 6:32 pm

beaker

Beautiful light on the mountains, and lovely rich tones on your woodwork. It looks like a fabulous morning out.

#35 2 Dec 2013 9:33 am

Paul
Employee

I think that most of the world is envious.

#36 28 Dec 2013 4:20 am

Journeyman

Thanks for a beautiful series of posts as you have built Oystercatcher.   She is a magnificent craft.
One small suggestion that may make your paddling more comfortable.  You might want to check the way you have the seat installed on the rails.  At least the early photos it appears to be on backwards.   
A sliding rowing seat is a bit like a boy:  the pointy bit of the seat points towards the feet, and the two curved bits (vaguely) match the shape of the oarsman's buttocks and therefore should closest to the bow.
Anyway, happy Christmas and happy paddling.

#37 30 Dec 2013 9:56 pm

pam5

Thanks for the advice on the seat.  it was put on the correct way around, but I must have taken it off on put it on back to front.....and it seems to have stayed on that way even during my most recent trip to scotland.  Every time I get a sore backside I think....I must remember to turn that seat back to the correct way.  anyway have a look on my latest photos for Scotland in the 'Locations' section of the forum and yes the seat is still int he wrong way round.... I will try and remember tomorrow.
IMG_0042.jpg

#38 1 Jan 2014 2:16 pm

Robpeek79

Hi,

I love the deck, it looks to have come out really well.  Thanks for the blog i thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

How do you find your Festool equipment?

Regards

Rob

Great wife quote......   "You can't possibly need a paddle board!"

#39 2 Jan 2014 8:55 pm

pam5

Hi Rob, thanks for your comments.  Festool equipment is great, but expensive.  with respect to boat building you don't really need to purchase this end of the market stuff as the majority of the work sanding and routing can be done with pretty much any make of power tool.  I use festool because I do a lot more woodwork other than building the odd boat.  and if you do quite a lot woodwork I would certainly recommend festool, it is superbly balanced, well made lasts for ever and quite important, almost  all of the tools fit with each other  (guide rails, dust extractors etc) and therefore use  less time in chopping and changing from job to job.

#40 2 Jan 2014 8:55 pm

pam5

More photos added to the location section of a trip in soctland.

#41 25 Nov 2014 9:12 pm

pam5

Some photos of this winters trip to scotland........to see more go to the location section.  what a tripIMG_2056.jpgIMG_2179.jpg

#42 21 Sep 2019 11:46 am

raindrop

Hi,
Great project!
How long do you think it took you overall to build the Wherry? Fyneboatkits list 5 days build time, surely it is much more?
Many thanks
Heike

#43 23 Sep 2019 8:08 am

Paul
Employee

The Expedition Wherry can be built in five days, indeed, several have been built on our five day course.  However, I would not recommend that you try to do this because the build will become more of a job than a pleasurable hobby.  We put the time on our website because almost everyone asks how long the build will take.  Some people do it as fast as they can but most builders enjoy the pleasure of building and so slow down to fill the time that they have available.  If you work for an hour each evening and more at the weekends you will probably complete the boat in about three weeks. 

Don’t forget that this is only the build time: the boat will be fully coated and can be used but you will want to paint and/or varnish it.  Finishing the boat can take as long as your patience lasts particularly if you want a complex paint and varnish look.  Finishing is not time consuming but there is a lot of waiting and cleaning up to be done.

Board footer