A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 20 Jun 2013 7:08 am

Jake

Fix or replace broken strake?

Strake/plank port side No1 on my sassafras 12 snapped in two just on the edge of the scarf joint after I glued the two half's together.

Can it be repaired with epoxy and glass or is it best to replace the whole plank?

I am worried it will not keep the form of the other planks and may not be as strong.

Maybe I could stitch the planks together with staples or wire but this will compromise the finish later.

Last edited by Jake (20 Jun 2013 7:45 am)

#2 20 Jun 2013 7:45 am

Richard

Re: Fix or replace broken strake?

Once the panels are in place there will not be abproblem with a rapair.  I spoke to a local builder whosaid it is most likely to break close but not on the joint.  I would glass the join if your boat is covered in fabric this make it very strong.

Canoe & Kayak Owner

#3 20 Jun 2013 7:51 am

Jake

Thanks for the reply Richard.
I'm off to the workshop now to try the repair.

#4 20 Jun 2013 10:26 am

Paul
Employee

Jake, I am sorry to read about this.  The panels are delicate before they form part of the boat but afterwards they are very strong especially on the Sassafras which is lapstrake design.    If the joint does not show I would go ahead and make the repair.  As mentioned, by Richard, it would be advisable to put a little piece of epoxy soaked fabric across the joint for added security. 

Before the panel is part of the boat the join will be delicate and, when the epoxy is dry, I advise you to clamp a short piece of scrap plywood on each face so that the panel where the joint is becomes the centre of a sandwich.  This will protect the join whilst the panel is being manhandled into place.

In general, panels are best lifted with an edge upwards and preferably with an assistant.

Don't worry the epoxy is very strong but if you do not like the look of it Fyne Boat Kits can supply a replacement panel..

#5 27 Jun 2013 10:15 am

Jake

Completed the fix using two pieces of glass fabric, one on each side of the strake and it seems very strong.

I will have to wait and see if it affects the finish at the end.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Board footer