A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 27 Jul 2011 3:07 pm

bowerspm

Passage Maker Project by Phil

Workshop set up and ready to go. Delivery of my kit is due on Friday. (fingers crossed)

#2 3 Aug 2011 10:36 am

bowerspm

Re: Passage Maker Project by Phil

Going well to date. After 4 long days work I'm ready to turn over to fix the seams.

FourDays.jpeg

Last edited by bowerspm (8 Aug 2011 7:33 am)

#3 4 Aug 2011 6:45 am

Fyne Boat Kits
Administrator
Website

The boat is looking terrific. For four days work that is good progress. 

Are  you working outside?

#4 7 Aug 2011 8:37 am

bowerspm

Thanks, yes it's an outside space but covered and normally only enclosed on 3 sides hence the plastic sheet to close of the final side. We call it our green room in the garden!

#5 7 Aug 2011 8:45 am

bowerspm

Slowing up a bit now but still looking good.

Great forum this, Phil's reply to JerryFerry about gassing was a life saver. I was horified to see large bubbles appearing under my fabric whilst laying the interior. Thankfully I had learnt about the temperature thing from his post (the sun came out unexpectedly as I was laying it!) so I set a fan and kept the airflow over the bottom to keep it cool. Magic!! the bubble just stopped appearing almost instantly.

SixDays.jpeg

Last edited by bowerspm (7 Aug 2011 8:49 am)

#6 8 Aug 2011 4:41 pm

Phil
Employee

Bowerspm,

Thank you for your feedback and glad the post to JerryFerry was of help.  You are making good neat job and we are looking forward to seeing your progress and seeing you on the water shortly.  Hope you are enjoying it as well?

Phil

#7 8 Aug 2011 7:50 pm

jerryferry

Good to know it works so well. I have not got arround too building again yet maybe in the autumn. I'm going to remember the trick with the fan.

Lifelong Angler cool

#8 12 Aug 2011 1:06 pm

bowerspm

Phew!!! Cutting it isn't as easy as you make it out to be!!! Talk about stressful. However, have managed in the end and thankfully I wasn't planning to varnish the exterior so will be able to cover the little mishaps with the paint job.

Two-Weeks-Split.jpeg

#9 13 Aug 2011 8:09 am

Paul
Employee

For space saving reasons it is a great idea to have a boat that nests and it is easy to say "cut the boat into two".  I did it once.

Last edited by Paul (13 Aug 2011 8:11 am)

#10 15 Aug 2011 7:56 am

bowerspm

Some minor issues with saw direction, sorted with a bit of extra filler! I liked the doublers provided and have installed them for extra strength. Also made a doubler for the lower bolts from spare bits of the gunwale. The only other change I made was that I put the gunwale on top of the shearstrake (routered the gunwale), not much loss in strength but looks so much better. (in my humble opinion)

BulkheadDoublers.jpeg

#11 25 Aug 2011 10:47 am

bowerspm

Well, finally finished! Just fitting out tomorrow morning and off to West Wales for launching this weekend. Lets hope it was all worthwhile, I have certainly enjoyed the experience of building it.

I'll hopefully post something on your Locations page next week. (assuming she doesn't sink that is!).

Beti-Wyn.jpeg

#12 25 Aug 2011 8:08 pm

Mikey

Wow!  Bowerspm that is a great looking boat and I cannot believe how quickly you have built it.  You didn't hang about and it looks great.  I hope the weather is kind for  your launch day. smile

Mikey

#13 26 Aug 2011 6:47 am

Richard

well done.  I have been watching the progress pver the last 4 weeks she looks fantastic.

Canoe & Kayak Owner

#14 26 Aug 2011 10:01 am

Paul
Employee

I can I just add my congratulations.  You have a lovely looking boat.

#15 5 Sep 2011 10:27 am

bowerspm

OK, That's it on this forum as the end of the build. We launched on the Maiden Voyage on Saturday 27th August. No leaks!!! What a fantastic all in experience, I shall look forward to many years of fun on the water.
Maiden-Voyage.jpeg

#16 5 Sep 2011 11:36 am

Paul
Employee

Thanks for sharing it with us.  I hope that you have many years of pleasure from your boat.

Board footer