A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 7 Feb 2013 9:15 pm

Gardennorm

Joining the deck and hull of a kayak

Hi,
I'm at the stage of joining the hull and deck of my night heron sea kayak.
I've stitched the two halfs together with wire and tacked where I can reach.
My question is what is the best way of taping the inside seam? I've taped as far as I can reach with an extended brush and epoxy but its been very difficult and I've still not covered the seams to the ends, I'm worried that when I cut the stitches the joints will come apart!
Any help or advice will be greatly apreciated.
Cheers!!

#2 8 Feb 2013 12:58 pm

beaker

Re: Joining the deck and hull of a kayak

Don't worry. The epoxy tacks are surprisingly strong, so with tape as well it won't spring.

#3 8 Feb 2013 1:43 pm

Paul
Employee

As beaker says the epoxy tacks are incredibly strong but there has to be some epoxy there otherwise, when you remove the wire, the panels will spring apart.   If you cannot reach the bow see if you can squeeze some epoxy in from the outside: releasing the wire and poking some thickened epoxy in and then tightening the wire again may work.

When it comes to taping I have found that a greatly extended brush is the best tool for the ends of the boat.  I also utilise gravity by lowing the end I am working on until it touches the floor.  Careful pouring of epoxy near the end is another trick that you may need to adopt.    The worst problem is not being able to get my arm and head into the hatch at the same time which means that I can never really see what I am doing.  I have never tried it but, assuming that you can work out which way to move the brush, a judiciously placed mirror may well help.  Any gaps will, of course, let in water if they are not plugged.

#4 8 Feb 2013 6:04 pm

Gardennorm

Thanks for your help.
I basically did what you suggested Paul.
I tacked as far as I could and let it cure over night, then I used straps to clamp the hull and deck together where I could not reach with the tacks. Then removed the stitches along one side and added tape and epoxy as far as I could reach inside with an extended brush, then I angled the boat down with the joint I was working on lower most and poured epoxy in.
It was a bit time consuming but it seams to have done the trick.
Need longer arms or massive hatches!!! :-)

#5 9 Feb 2013 2:39 pm

beaker

I did try the mirror trick, using a handbag mirror I borrowed. The main risk doing this is getting epoxy on the mirror, then you get found out for borrowing it.

I bought some tyvec disposable suits for this job from Screwfix. I can confirm putting your head through the hatch unprotected is a bad idea, as epoxy rash on your ears is no fun!

#6 9 Feb 2013 5:23 pm

Gardennorm

Using the other half's make up mirror would probably result in more pain than actually climbing inside and applying the epoxy with my tongue!!
The suits sound like a good idea, its certainly the messiest and most difficult job Ive done so far on this build, but it wont put me off building another...

Board footer