A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 31 Jan 2013 10:08 pm

beaker

Seat positioning?

How do I choose the best place for the seat in my kayak? I've lined it up according to the sketches in the plans (shearwater sport), and paddling seems fine. Not really had to deal with high wind/weathercocking yet though.

However, it's not easy to lean right back for a roll, as my back stops against the cockpit coaming, so I'd like to move the seat forward. Is there a cunning way to find the right spot? I know where the centre of gravity for the boat is, so I could set it to balance on a strip of wood, then sit in it and move about till it is still balanced. Or is there a design distance to set it from the rear bulkhead?

It had been suggested that i raise the seat up, but whilst that might make rolling easier, as the CofG would rise, it would probably make rolling more likely!

#2 1 Feb 2013 2:04 pm

Paul
Employee

Re: Seat positioning?

Here is a message from the designer of your boat.

The idea of balancing you and the boat on a stick to check your center of gravity is reasonable.  I have not found it necessary to go to that much work however.  My  basic philosophy is to allow about one fist width of space between my back and the cockpit coaming.  You should end up with a fair amount of air between the backrest and the combing say 80-100mm.  The seat is positioned accordingly for comfort.

I tend not to be able to put the back of my head right on the rear deck when rolling but still have no trouble executing a successful if not graceful roll.

#3 1 Feb 2013 3:13 pm

beaker

Thanks for the reply! It looks like I've got it set right already then. I'll go ahead and add more minicell round the hip braces, and get some more practice in.

#4 1 Feb 2013 5:09 pm

Richard

I was taught to lean forward rather than back seems more comfortable

Canoe & Kayak Owner

Board footer