A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 15 Jan 2013 12:04 am

fairplay

...Chesapeake double build...

...so, on to the next project: a Chesapeake double - made from a kit...

...i started two days ago with the panel- and shear-glueing...today was drilling & stitching-time:

chesapeake-double-001.jpg

...the thing is: this boat is huge! - at least for my cellar, where i am building the boats...at the moment i am not sure that i will be able to get this thing out of the basement when it is built...we'll see...perhaps i'll have to invent the Chesapeake double in two parts when i'll have to saw it into two pieces...

Last edited by fairplay (15 Jan 2013 12:24 am)

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#2 16 Jan 2013 10:17 am

Paul
Employee

Re: ...Chesapeake double build...

A classic mistake!   I would recommend that you check you can remove it before you glue it and install the bulkheads because at this stage it is light and you can always take it apart and build it somewhere else.  If it does not fit then I would certainly consider making it a take-apart boat.  With luck you will not have a problem but if you do please get in touch and I will explain how to make it a take-apart.

#3 16 Jan 2013 10:52 am

fairplay

Paul wrote:

A classic mistake!

...yeah! smile ...

...ok, it is too late now as i have started glueing yesterday...but as i have managed to get the two Pax 18 in and out (was not too easy but it worked with very few and minor scratches) and there was even a little space left i'll now complete the build and then cry in public wink ...

...thank you for the offer - i'll get in touch in case it should become necessary...

chesapeake-double-002.jpeg

...btw.: the forward bulkhead supplied with the kit did only fit about 60cm(!) forward of the position marked in the plans...that is about 1.76m from the bow instead of 2.34m...there was nothing to trim-to-make-it-fit as it was actually short a few centimeters left and right at the position it was supposed to be...

#4 27 Jan 2013 9:59 pm

beaker

Long and lovely!

#5 2 Feb 2013 8:57 pm

fairplay

...actually - it is huge...but i think i might have mentioned that before...

...got a few steps further the last couple of weeks until another big glueing-session today, including four deckbeams, four footrests and the two end pours:

chesapeake-double-021.jpg

Board footer