A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 4 Apr 2020 1:43 pm

MartinC

Waterlust UK build

Hi.

I have been watching with interest the hugely informative posts by Bergen Guy and SPClark on their Waterlust builds.
I am following on behind, having had a break over the winter, and I have now reached the stage of having completed the copper wiring of all the panels and I am looking at the fitting of the breasthooks.

I have bevelled fore and aft breasthooks as described on page 11 of the 'manual',  but I am a little confused by the order in which the processes take place from now on.The five operations detailed on that page are clearly not in chronological order, so I was wondering if one of my fellow Waterlusters could advise me of the best (easiest!) order of work for:-

1. The removal of the copper wires.
2. The application of the epoxy fillet to the stems.
3. The taping of the stem fillets.
4. The clamping and bonding of the breasthooks.
5. The tack welding of the frames to the hull. (I will be using using thickened epoxy).

Any help would be gratefully received. Please don't assume I know anything - I am a complete epoxy novice!

#2 4 Apr 2020 5:02 pm

MartinC

Re: Waterlust UK build

I think I have just found the answer to my own question. The copper wires in the bow and stern must be left in until after the epoxy fillets have cured. Presumably removal is then done by heating with a soldering iron?
I guess the breasthooks are clamped in place with epoxy at the same time as the stem fillets are epoxied and taped (having first 'dry' tested the fit.
If I have this wrong, I would appreciate any advice.

#3 6 Apr 2020 6:57 pm

spclark

Re: Waterlust UK build

I did breasthooks’ bonding first then added fillets into stem & stern v’s, with ‘glass cloth added after fillets had begun to firm up but not fully cured. After ‘glass was placed, unthickened epoxy sufficient to wet it out nicely but not run out all over in there. Too tight to sand easily, scraper’d be a better choice for inevitable runs.

Board footer