A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 31 Aug 2011 7:32 am

Julian

Wood Duck 10

Hi,

I started to build the Wood Duck 10 last Wednesday.

Never built one before, not sure how it's going to work.
First pictures are of the scarf joints.

I'll try to catch up over the next few days.

wood-duck-self-built-kayak-fyne-boat-kits_20110901-0711.jpg

kayak-wood-duck-build.jpg

#2 31 Aug 2011 9:46 am

Navin

Re: Wood Duck 10

Nice job Julian,

your joints look a bit neater than mine, I had more excess epoxy to clear up.

Bevelling all the pieces was a pain, but I have started to stitch the pieces to the forms. Bringing the ends together at the bow and stern is going to be challenging, probably more so for the Wood Duck 10 with it being shorter.

Last edited by Navin (31 Aug 2011 9:46 am)

#3 1 Sep 2011 6:06 am

Julian

Bevelling was'nt too bad, took two evenings! 
I used a block plane, must be a quicker method. I actually quite enjoyed it, the concentration required cleared my mind of everything.

Stitched the bottom panells together last night. Navin, you are right, the ends were a challenge.  Had to put in more wires to get the keel to fit tight,  see photo.  Had hoped to get the side panells on as well, oh well another evening.
wood-duck-fyne-boat-kit-kayaak.jpgWoood-duck-bow-stitched.jpg

#4 1 Sep 2011 6:20 am

Julian

Navin, just read you build, should have read it before, I'll get used to this forum, probably when I've finished.  Steaming may  have been easier, bow came together OK, but did the stern in two stages, drew it together a close as I dared, then went for a cupper. Had another go afterwards, did seem to relaxe, or I just felt brave.

#5 1 Sep 2011 7:23 am

Navin

Julian,

your boat's looking good and very neat bevels.

I have left my bow and stern loosely clamped so hopefully they will have relaxed a bit by the time I get back to it at the weekend.

#6 10 Sep 2011 6:24 pm

gooseneck

Have you finished it?

#7 11 Sep 2011 5:14 pm

Julian

No not finished yet, unfortunatly work and other chores has slowed progress.

Today I've finished stictching the hull, spot welded, attached deck and am now enjoying a beer.

Found the ends a little difficult. The bevels were slipping over each other, when they were inline.  After a tea or two found a solution.  Wired in little blocks covered with tape, see photo.

Spot welding went OK.  Wiring in the deck, that took time, and an extra pair of hands.  Not perfect, but with all that wet epoxy about,  I'm happy. Hopefully I'll get a chance to improve the fit when the deck and hull come together for real. It's been a long day.keep-them-in-line-1.jpgtight-keel-line.jpgspot-weld.jpg

#8 14 Sep 2011 2:00 pm

fairplay

...nice!...

...you're also planing to take out the wires completely?...

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#9 19 Sep 2011 5:51 am

Julian

I'm hoping to take all the wires out, I thick it will be easier to fillet and glass, if I hear any cracking I'll put them back.

This weekend was a short one, but quite stressfull, I cut out the hatch. Thought it was mean that this wasn't cut in the kit, but realise this is the only way to have matching grain, and a close cut, tight fit.  Took Phil's advise and got a japanese key hole saw, easy, took 10 to 15 minutes, followed the line, real proud of it.

Attached the sill assembly, and the hatch stiffener and sat back and admired it!spot-welded-cut-hatch.jpgcut-hatch.jpghatch-sill-assembly.jpg

#10 25 Sep 2011 12:50 pm

Julian

Yesterday the deck came off and  nervously the wires were removed, I'm amassed at how light the boat is, and how stiff it is with what seems to be so little epoxy holding it together.  The seams were filled with thickened epoxy, where the wires had been, and the glass tape laid over them, again not as hard as I was anticipating.  Left it a couple of hours, while I watched some rugby, and then put on a second coat of epoxy over the tape.

Not sure if the glass fabric should have been laid in the cockpit at this stage, worried about putting it on the wet tape, so decided to leave it, guess I'll have to sand the epoxied areas.
006.jpg008.jpg

#11 25 Nov 2011 9:31 am

fairplay

...Julian, are there any news regarding your build?...

...may i ask you the same question i asked Navin as whom you're building the boat for in terms of 'age, size and/or wheight' of the paddler?...

...i have to decide between the Wood Duck 10 and the Wood Duck 12 for children aged 6-15, so i would be grateful for any input smile ...

'...so, how many kayaks do you really need?...' - '...one more!...'

#12 28 Nov 2011 6:29 pm

Julian

Fairplay,

The build is on hold at present, unfortunately I don't expect to be able to resume it until the new year.

The boat is for myself. 50+ ; 6ft;  80Kg.  Went for the shorter boat because I expect it to be more maneuverable in narrow rivers with rapids.  Also I am not looking to carry anything other than day trip equipment.

Sorry that I'm unable to let you know how it performs.

Board footer