A forum for discussing wooden boats and boat building

You are not logged in.

#1 25 Aug 2011 2:30 pm

Dinky Doris

Professional Epoxy Coatings

The epoxy is excellent especially for a newby building a DD but when I decided to get some more to seal my bathroom I was surprised at how much it cost to be delivered.

DD

#2 25 Aug 2011 4:36 pm

Paul
Employee

Re: Professional Epoxy Coatings

The problem with epoxy is that it is both heavy and has a UN number that requires a dangerous goods note and UN approved containers.   The former problem means that it is expensive to send and the latter means that not many carriers will take it.

We send it by an overnight courier service.  There is a minimum cost for this service which means that small quantities of epoxy seem expensive to send but the price does not change much for larger quantities thus making the delivery cost seem less significant.  The delivery charge for 1.5 kg is currently £11.90 but the delivery cost for 8 kg is also £11.90. 

We would like to be able to send the epoxy by post but Parcel Force and the Post Office have both refused to carry it; if they did it would cost less for the 1.5 kg but much more for the 8 kg.

#3 27 Aug 2011 6:42 am

Richard

Paul I thinnk that you should check your facts.  Just after xmas I sent some books through the PO to a forgetful son at uni and it cost three times as much and they took 4 days to arrive!  Stick with the courier it is a very good deal.   smile

Canoe & Kayak Owner

#4 27 Aug 2011 7:43 am

gooseneck

I just want to say how good the epoxy is and never mind the cost

#5 30 Aug 2011 10:27 am

Fyne Boat Kits
Administrator
Website

Dinky Doris wrote:

I decided to get some more to seal my bathroom.

Please remember that epoxy does not stick to plastic.  Since it is outside our experience you should check how well it sticks to porcelain. 

However, many people have used it to seal floorboards, joists and wood panels to make a wet room. It also, apparently, seals cork tiles well.  It can also be used to seal mortar and plaster but we cannot give advice on this since we have not done extensive tests on it.

For information about using the epoxy click on this link:  Using Professional Epoxy Coatings

#6 10 Sep 2011 7:32 pm

Richard

DD What a great name! I have only just twigged it. I should have paid more attention at school

Canoe & Kayak Owner

#7 11 Sep 2011 1:16 am

jerryferry

passed me by too

Lifelong Angler cool

#8 14 Mar 2012 8:24 am

Gudgeon

Almost too late realized that the prices include vat.  When donig my comparisions between companies I was not comparing like with like. Hope no one else is as slow as me but if so please see that it INCLUDES VAT

#9 29 Mar 2012 10:26 am

Leggy

Ordered some epoxy at about 11 yesterday morning.  Arrived at 9 30 today! smile

#10 30 Mar 2012 1:48 pm

Paul
Employee

Leggy wrote:

...11 yesterday morning.  Arrived at 9 30 today!

We do our best to dispatch epoxy orders on the same day if they are received before noon which means that they are delivered the following working day.  We can't guarantee that we will do this because it depends upon how many other orders have to be dispatched: sometimes we do not have enough time and occasionally the courier cannot take any more.

Gudgeon wrote:

Hope no one else is as slow as me but if so please see that it INCLUDES VAT

Just to confirm that all of our quoted prices do include VAT

Board footer